Which budget turntable will provide me the best service?

I recently aquired a sizable collection of albums, but do not have a turntable. I have found a shop that has a used MMF-2.1 and a Vestax BDT 2000 for sale at the same price (~$230. I can screen for sound, but being new to this realm of audio I don't know what type of screening checklist I should have in mind for auditioning a turntable for structural/mechanical integrity(?). Any thoughts? Any experience with these units?
skut

Showing 1 response by 1953

I'll tell you what there are some Amazing bargins out there. I just got an old (mid 1970's) Miracord 750 with a Grado cartridge for $95. It's in great shape and everything works. It sounds wonderfull! Yeah, there is some rumble but get the music going and the music gets going. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Thorens TD-160. I picked up a new Stanton 681EE cartridge to go with it for a song. Heard this combo in 1978 and was jolted by the sweep of the music.

My point is there is some GREAT stuff out there for less (sometimes MUCH less)than a couple of hundred bucks that will serve your new collection well.

Good Luck!!