Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
If you Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. You should buy any professional Asynchronous DAC with the newest technology and not the top dollar audiophile DAC. You must buy DAC with Asynchronous (timing clock and jitter Correction) inputs. I've been enjoying all kind of music without any tweaking with my Mac Mini 2011, Amarra and RME Asyn Dac for the last 3 year on my all tube Mcintosh system and B&W 802 Diamond speaker.
For redbook any of the nos Audio Note transports and dacs can't be beat
Alan
Contact me offline and I can set you up with home demo on a couple do different units that I think would fit the bill for your needs.
Here we go again. Accuracy to audiophools mean lean and detail. Natural warm and organic is a coloration ha. How many times does it have to be said that live music not amplified is warm and organic. EMM Labs and Playback Designs are for sure in the lean camp.
I too find it interesting that when I listen to live music and then within a day to 'audiophile' components, there is a huge disconnect. I don't even want to sit and listen. Accurate isn't about lean and detailed. I'm going with Vandy's because of this reason. I get plenty of real detail, but even so many of the esoteric stuff I've heard recently is just so etched. It's subtle and most don't realize it, but I never see people putting on more than a few cuts to listen to.