Accuphase or Esoteric?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new CD player. I've had an Accuphase DP-78 that sounds wonderful, but has developed some mechanical issues, so I think it's time for a new player. I've been offered a great deal on a new Accuphase DP-600, but also very good deals on an Esoteric K-03 or K-01. The only one of any of these I've heard is the K-03. I have a friend who has one, and we auditioned his against my Accuphase side by side, and found them roughly equal in sound quality, although they were different and we preferred one or the other, depending on what was playing. I'm interested in whether anyone has heard the Esoteric against the Accuphase, and also how much better the K-01 really is. The Absolute Sound review was pretty unequivocal, but I never know what reviewers are thinking, and there is a big price difference. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
skreich
I like the Esoteric DV50s better than the K-3, and it is a DVD/SACD multiple channel player. This Esoteric is going surpass about 99% of all CD and SACD players, hands down and you might find one under two grand.

The only problem i have with multiple channel for surround format is the speakers should be forward and spread wider than the main channels, not like a DVD.

Accuphase is the best SACD stereo I have heard, and if you do not care for other than stereo, then that is going o be the best one I know to buy.

I have the Oppo 105D and it is a super good Blu-ray player and I can see why some say it is all you need for all formats. Well, it is not as good on pure music as either the Esoteric, or Accuphase, but for many good enough. Nevertheless, the Oppo is a value at $1299 new, just about the best value out there.

McCormack UDP-1 will top the Oppo in two channel mode, with the plain RCA output with good interconnects. It will not best it with multiple channels, nor as a DVD player, I think Steve made this to be mainly a super good CD/SACD stereo player. It is softer than the Esoteric, not as detailed, but a bit more liquid.

The question is do you want the best SACD player? If so, go with Accuphase, if you can afford it?
Many Thanks! for sharing Lady-

great comparison on the McCormack UDP-1. I still would like to demo this player someday...

Accuphase is on my short-list to auditin as well.

I concur on the DV-50 model from Esoteric. Very fine SACD performance, but, it is crap (to my ears) on CD playback.
This goes for the SA-50 on CD playback as well.

Great exchange of info here and happy listening!
If you have the other high-end gear you will really hear these, then, having both, I would say no CD and SACD stereo player beats Accuphase. The Esoteric seems more dynamic, and the DV 50s is the best kept secret in hybrid SACD playback.

Here is how I see it, the Marantz SA-11S3 may sound as good on a $10,000 system, but the Esoteric K 01 will devastate it on a $100,000 system. Same with the Accuphase, yet the Accuphase has more a natural liquid bloom, while the Esoteric K 01 has a more dynamic presence.

At the same time, the Audio Research CD 7, while not a SACD player, seems to come close to that liquid bloom, or palpable sound of Accuphase, yet is also very dynamic.

The McCormack UDP-1 has a very nice sound in stereo, yet seems to lose some of this when played in multichannel.

I would examine my system, the preamplifier, amplifier and speakers and go form here. If you want great dynamics, the Esoteric is a good choice, if you are using multichannel, the Esoteric DV 50, or 50s has this over other multichannel players.

Then if you are not using very high dollar high-end gear, the Oppo will do well at all and you get Blu-ray!

For me, I go with the Oppo 105 for all movies and Accuphase for stereo only. If you play multichannel SACDs, the Esoteric DV 50, or for better video the 50s, or the DV 60.

The best player for 98 percent of people will be an all in one Oppo,105, or 95, they are very good!

The Cambridge CD/SACD player is also near perfect, if you want one player for music and one for movies.

I think much of this is pointless to debate unless you have the gear and speakers to appreciate the diminishing returns with Accuphase. There are more used Esoteric players available, the K 07, K 03 and the DV 50, all good choices at more modest prices in the used market.
Thank You! Ladycharnet.

did you ever spend time w/ the Esoteric X-03 or X-03SE spinner?

Keep me posted and Happy Listening!