Beethoven Symphonies - best perf + sonics on CD

My CD's of Beethoven's symphonies were all issued in the late 80's or early 90's and sound flat and two-dimensional, with a back-of-the-house perspective. Vinyl is more dynamic but I can't tolerate the surface noise during the quiet passages. So, fellow A'gon members, I'm looking for your suggestions for the best sounding (good tone, big dynamics, front row perspective) and most thrilling performances of Beethoven symphonies on redbook CD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
Thanks Goofyfoot! i think its Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique and John Eliot Gardiner...on DG. Archiv.
Hi Lloydelee. My understanding is HIP is historically informed performance, which more often than not uses instruments that the composer had access to rather than modern ones. It can also refer to score modifications based on recent scholarship.

And this approach uusually involves smaller forces than modern interpretations.
Hi Goofyfoot. Your point of familiarity is certain well-taken. But in the end, it is my response to any given performance that holds sway.

As an example, I recently acquired Enoch zu Guttenberg's Mozart Requiem. He uses much smaller forces than other conductors, e.g. HvK, Bernstein, Richter. The SQ is astounding, with great clarity and space around the singers and musicians, but in the end I wished his orchestra and chorus were larger.
Certainly Merlinus, I can appreciate a large orchestra with the best of them. I've had a variety of experiences with different groups of various sizes in situations that may or may not come off so well. One of the most interesting was a performance of a Mahler work (I can't remember which one) where the motivation was to exemplify how music in the home was contingent upon people meeting with instruments, reading sheet music and playing the music themselves. Anyway, the band consisted of something like a marimba, oboe, trumpet, violin, cello, snare drum and cymbal and piano. I doubt if I'll ever hear Mahler played that way again but it was well thought out and rather interesting. However I tend to make a steady diet out of chamber music while listening to full scale orchestra only here and there.