Beethoven Symphonies - best perf + sonics on CD

My CD's of Beethoven's symphonies were all issued in the late 80's or early 90's and sound flat and two-dimensional, with a back-of-the-house perspective. Vinyl is more dynamic but I can't tolerate the surface noise during the quiet passages. So, fellow A'gon members, I'm looking for your suggestions for the best sounding (good tone, big dynamics, front row perspective) and most thrilling performances of Beethoven symphonies on redbook CD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
Brownsfan, I assume that it is believed by most but certainly not all that the SHM SACD hybrids offer the best remixing and remastering available. That appears to be the competition for these larger labels like DG. Why DG can't step up their game and surpass what the Japanese are doing is puzzling. Anyway, I'm tempted to make the Japanese HvK Beethoven purchase once I have the extra $60.00 to spend. Also the Brahms and Sibelius if I find the Beethoven is worth the cost.
That's a good question Rok2id. Brownsfan would you, or anyone else for that matter, happen to know the idiosyncrasies of the differing media formats concerning 'SHM', SACD, Redbook. etc...? It seems like these catalogue descriptions might confuse people into thinking that they are getting more of something or may be getting something different from what is actually in the CD.
Goofyfoot, It is a real dilemma. Here I sit, with my recently purchased DG SACD remasters, for the most part thrilled with the artistic merit, but recognizing that the recordings leave much to be desired. Certainly, they aren't bad at all for 1962 vintage recordings, --but, well, its still mostly about the artistic merit. I've heard 1-8 now, and guess what? The 3rd and 4th rise well above the rest with respect to recording quality. The very ones that are offered as SHM remasters. What to do?
Is it possible that the SHM reputation is based on astute cherry picking, or are they going to take this already excellent DG effort on the 3rd and 4th to a new level.

Apparently, the Universal Japan remasters of the Kempe Strauss are available, and expensive. Some of the reviews on other releases in the Universal Japan EMI catalogue have not been favorable. These are not SHM recordings. Again, what to do?

Rok2id, if you go to the acoustic sounds website, any of the SHM offerings give a brief description. That would be the sum total of what I know.
as an aside, has anyone noticed that on Amazon, on EVERY recording of LvB symphonies, at least ONE reviewer will say it's the best Ever!! :)

Cheers