DLP vs Plasma/LCD

I was just about ready to plunk down $4k for a Panasonic 42" plasma. I was at my brother's tonight watching the Olympics on his 42" Pioneer plasma (HD transmission,) when he tells me that I should go with a DLP for my bedroom, rather than the plasma. He claims the picture is much better and they cost less. I wasn't even considering a DLP because I didn't think it would fit in my bedroom. (being to deep) He says they make some, now, that are only a few inches deeper/wider than a plasma. Any takers? Is the DLP the way to go? If so, can anyone recommend one with killer picture quality, and relatively thin? thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
Well, I finally got this new baby installed, yesterday. This is the deal:
Samsung HLP-4674 46" with matching Samsung stand
Denon DVD-2910 Progressive w/HDMI and SACD
Liberty Z Series HDMI interconnects (all ics, as well=liberty Z Series)
Nad 320 (forgot the actual letters, BSE or something) integrated amp
Definitive Technology Speakers 7004 model on Audiopoints-

The picture and the sound do it for me. I have a large bedroom and was able to make the corner a little home theatre. Being that I'm 8 feet (could get 12 feet away if needed) from the tv- the wow factor is oooolala with a 46 incher.
The guys who installed the system adjusted the brightness, color and whole nine. It was great right out of the box. Watching last night, there's tweaking to be done, but after looking at the instruction manual I flipped. I'm having the Sammy ISF calibrated next month, after I have the prerequisite 80-100 hours on the lamp. Got my appointment in, already. I can easily live with the colors 'til the calibration. After the calibration? Audio Magic power conditioner, for sure. Many have told me, power conditioning makes a significant difference in the picture. I certainly know what it does for the sound. Cable vision coming Friday to do the HD box thing. Will keep you posted. thanks for the help. peace, warren
Installed Tuesday and have been totally enjoying the size, color, clarity, and sound of this new baby. Yesterday (Friday) cable vision comes over to install the HD box. Now I'm freaking, the you know what, out. Wow, all 46" top to bottom of the screen filled with a picture I can't believe. Day and night: regular TV compared to HD. Very happy indeed, and my lamp isn't burned in yet, nor is the set calibrated. Thanks again for your video feedback. It has led me to where I am. And I'm THERE!! peace, warren
You too, Warren?
I had the box installed yesterday also and yeah, Im freaking out also :^) This is more fun than audio!
I forgot to ask the tech if we can receive dolby 5.1 through the box.
Have you tried the Audio Magic power conditioner yet?
Let the obsession for the perfect picture begin!
Emil, that Audio Magic will happen, but with Christmas and dropping some big $$, I may have to wait awhile. Maybe a month...lol...Hopefully I'll find a used one on the 'gon, but that usually takes forever. I'm grooving and am looking forward to the ISF calibration next month. I'll keep ya posted....

remember those Thiel 1.5s way back when? whattayaknow...
I am begining to think power conditioning makes a bigger difference with video than with audio. Heck you can use one of those Monster PC/surge protects with an entry level tube TV and get great color and clarity improvements.