DLP vs Plasma/LCD

I was just about ready to plunk down $4k for a Panasonic 42" plasma. I was at my brother's tonight watching the Olympics on his 42" Pioneer plasma (HD transmission,) when he tells me that I should go with a DLP for my bedroom, rather than the plasma. He claims the picture is much better and they cost less. I wasn't even considering a DLP because I didn't think it would fit in my bedroom. (being to deep) He says they make some, now, that are only a few inches deeper/wider than a plasma. Any takers? Is the DLP the way to go? If so, can anyone recommend one with killer picture quality, and relatively thin? thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
Kal, after reading the disparity of opinions and doing the avsforum route, I've come to your conclusion, as well. Especially considering my limited viewing pattern related to plasma screen life span. Now which 42" plasma? From an earlier post, serveral months ago, it seems that the Panny HD (forgot the model number) was a popular contender. I'm right back where I started, but I do appreciate the feedback. peace, warren
The 42" commercial Panasonic seems the consensus favorite of the AVSforum denizens. However, Sony, NEC, Hitachi and Pioneer have growing support. The problem is that there is no easy way to see any of them set up optimally and certainly no easy way to see all of them set up optimally in the same place with the same lighting conditions as at home.

I went with the 50" Fujitsu.

Kal
I am surprised no one has mentioned that a DLP TV will require replacement lamps costing $250 to $400. The life expectancy of these bulbs is estimated between 1000-5000 hours, so you may be replacing these every or every other year. There is also forum discussion of early burnout of the original bulbs after the purchase. The price for the bulbs may come down, but there will be an ongoing expense beyond the initial purchase. I am glad I do not need to replace a TV right now (knock on wood) as it would probably be a DLP considering the cost vs. value of the different formats.
Jer,

You made a good point here.

I doubt the price of the bulb will come down much. It is like the ink of an ink jet printer. It has not come down since I bought my first ink jet 10 years ago. This is a hidden cost to consumer and recurring revenue to the manufacturer. My guess is the DLP set will come down in price but the bulb will probably stay at the same level.

It is actually;

Plasma vs Flat Panel LCD vs Rear Projection LCD vs Rear Projection DLP

I think it all depends on where you going to put it and the type of use.

I'm considering 70" Rear projection LCD or DLP for my movie/music room, and 46" Plasma for my family room.

Flat panel LCD is limited in size right now - less than 37"? and expecsive, so it may be suitable for bedroom or library etc...

Picture quality and characteristics seems to be similar for Rear Projection LCD and Rear Projection DLP.

Kr4 and Jer mentioned replacing burbs...
I know there's buring bulb issue with plasma but DLP?