DVD player recomendations

Ok I have a good one for fellow "goners" I have a Pioneer DV 414 dvd player that is probably close to 5 years old and looking to upgrade.My budget is somewhere around $5-700.00 and I am willing to bump it up to $1000 if the difference will be dramatic enough.I actually would prefer buying used to make my dollar go further.I am after a dvd player that will"smoke the doors" on my 414 in audio and video.SACD is not a important option or the DVI for that matter.If I can get some recomendations to get me started in the right direction,would be a great help.
Thank,Tim
timperry
Despite my respect for the Arcam unit(s), I recently had a JVC player fail on me, and I am getting an exchange refund from J & R, so I opted for the Denon 5900 (J & R don't sell Arcam). I had them send it straight to Dan Wright at ModWright, so I am looking forward to my modded unit to arrive sometime in the next couple of weeks. I have not heard any of Dan's products, so I am taking somewhat of a gamble, but after reading all the reviews, studying what is being modded, and talking with Dan, I feel very confident that I will have myself a top notch universal player.
I have a first generation Sony DVP 3000. I have been having problems reading discs as of late. I tore it apart and cleaned everything. I have assumed that it is having problems with newer discs as all of my old original discs work fine. I have just ordered a open box Pioneer Elite DV-37 for $200. I will let you know how it works out
Sadly the consensus is that Pioneer players are not the best for video. I echo Tom's recommendations.
I don't know about that comment but, I will tell you this. The DV37 arrived today. I am pretty disappointed. The build quality is plain crap. This is the first piece of Pioneer equipment I have ever purchased. This is the Elite series? What garbage. I think my kids Daewoo is built better than this. I guess I will avoid Pioneer stuff from now on.
It is surely a later model than my Sony3000. But the picture and sound quality are not any better. Looks like I get back to work on the Sony.