Best TV for approx. 300? 25"-"27

I need a new TV for the bedroom, I do not need bells and whistles, picture would be first of importance.

I am not fixed at 25"-27", I could consider smaller. (Actually, my wife would prefer a smaller TV, but you know us guys, we want to go for the bigger version!)

I went to Circuit City last night planning to purchase a Panasonic, I have heard good things on their longevity. I was specifically going there for the CT-27G6, $289. I left with a JVC AV-27D302, $349. The JVC showed much more detail IMO and all the Panasonics I looked at seemed dark, the JVC simply seemed to have the better picture, except it was a bit grainy. I thought, maybe foolishly, it was just a store issue.

The one I brought home seems to be a bit grainy as well. There seems to be a flaw in the picture, so I am planning on returning it, but I am not ruling out exchanging it for the same TV.

I was just seeking the collective wisdom of this forum.

Thanks
brianmgrarcom
Brianmgrarcom:

And about Panasonic's entry-level "G" series (and "D" series as well)??? Looks like I have to concur with whomever advise you against getting one. Think that you may have to look elsewhere if you are thinking about getting a good, but affordable TV. If you are getting a Pany today, then I would only advise that you check out only their "Tau" series. At least, those sets are worth talking about. And even then, neither one of those sets can hold up a candle against my two year old Panasonic SuperFlat.

Maybe a JVC or a Magnavox is your best bet. Keep us up to speed, will you??

--Charles--
Charles,

Sorry, but the 10 year old Mitsu has two video inputs! I wasn't trying to get into a "my TV is better than your TV." I purchased this TV in 2/1992 and it was something like $800 back then; it is a great TV.

It sounds like we made the right move not buying the Panasonic G/D series and purchasing the JVC instead.

From what I understand, there was much more focus on 27" TV's by manufacturers years back as they were more popular at that time, now it is the larger TV's. Talking with a salesman/friend of mine a few years ago, he stated that he wouldn't recommend a 27" Mitsu anymore, but their larger TV's were great, as that was Mitsu's focus.
I used to work at a high end video store--my advice is to find a salesman you can trust and choose TV size considering the distance you will be from the set. The general rule of thumb is 4 times diagonal picture, so (4 x 27" = 108"); 108"/12 = 9 feet. That's your recommended viewing distance.

I would not buy Panasonic over Sony WEGA...

I bought my first TV set ever back in October--a 27" WEGA. I called the owner of the store I used to work at and told me I made the right choice of TV. He gave me the proper order to fine tune a TV (I had forgotten--I'm an audiophile!).

Here it is:

1) Color OFF
2) Brightness
3) Contrast
4) Sharpness

Get the best B&W picture you can.

5)Color ON
6)Tint
7 Drop brightness
8)Work on high resolution settings

This is a no-brainer if you follow it step by step and take your time. Steve Blumenthal of Gallager TV is a master at this. My TV was fine tuned in just a few minutes with no need for any 'special' DVD. Back in those days we didn't have any DVDs or LDs to tune the TVs!

After setting my TV I rented Water World and played it through my JVC XV-S45 DVD player and those water scenes (both above and under) were just stunning!
Why not take that 10 year old Mitsu, put it in the bedroom, and treat yourself to a nice new Sony WEGA? It will certainly be an improvement over the Mitsu, and your living room gets a stylish upgrade!
Why not take that 10 year old Mitsu, put it in the bedroom, and treat yourself to a nice new Sony WEGA? It will certainly be an improvement over the Mitsu, and your living room gets a stylish upgrade!