Best TV for approx. 300? 25"-"27

I need a new TV for the bedroom, I do not need bells and whistles, picture would be first of importance.

I am not fixed at 25"-27", I could consider smaller. (Actually, my wife would prefer a smaller TV, but you know us guys, we want to go for the bigger version!)

I went to Circuit City last night planning to purchase a Panasonic, I have heard good things on their longevity. I was specifically going there for the CT-27G6, $289. I left with a JVC AV-27D302, $349. The JVC showed much more detail IMO and all the Panasonics I looked at seemed dark, the JVC simply seemed to have the better picture, except it was a bit grainy. I thought, maybe foolishly, it was just a store issue.

The one I brought home seems to be a bit grainy as well. There seems to be a flaw in the picture, so I am planning on returning it, but I am not ruling out exchanging it for the same TV.

I was just seeking the collective wisdom of this forum.

Thanks
brianmgrarcom

Showing 6 responses by brianmgrarcom

You bring up an interesting point Fatparrot. We didn't spend a lot of time with the adjustments in the store either, we were in a bit of a hurry.

The calibration that you speak of, is this something done internal or something they do with the menu controls and maybe some software, say from a DVD player?

(I highly doubt that my wife will agree to spend more money on a brand new TV! I already went higher on the price than planned.)
Per your request, I will let you know how this ends up.

I would like to reiterate that this is for the bedroom, hence not wanting to spend double for an awesome 27".

I have an awesome 27" Mitsu in my living room that we purchased just over 10 years ago. This TV has an awesome picture and some bells and whistles that I do not find on TV's today; namely two antenna inputs!

I have talked with another who also has fond words for Panasonic TV's, but advised that the G series has a lousy picture. I would agree with that assessment after last nights outting and I would add that we compared the D series to the G series and it was no better.

Other than the "grainyness" of the JVC, the picture was much better that the G/D series, that said, it is a little more expensive TV too.
Charles,

Sorry, but the 10 year old Mitsu has two video inputs! I wasn't trying to get into a "my TV is better than your TV." I purchased this TV in 2/1992 and it was something like $800 back then; it is a great TV.

It sounds like we made the right move not buying the Panasonic G/D series and purchasing the JVC instead.

From what I understand, there was much more focus on 27" TV's by manufacturers years back as they were more popular at that time, now it is the larger TV's. Talking with a salesman/friend of mine a few years ago, he stated that he wouldn't recommend a 27" Mitsu anymore, but their larger TV's were great, as that was Mitsu's focus.
Believe you me, if we had the money, I would purchase a new and larger TV for the living room!! That will have to come at another time.
We have played around with our connections, purchased better ones, and the grainyness is gone. But that isn't why I was going to return it; at times there is a "line" down the screen on the far left.

Now that we have a better connection, I am VERY impressed with the picture, to say the least!

On another fourm though, someone gave me the following Consumer reports ratngs for picture:
5 Stars (Excellent), 4 Stars (VeryGood), 3 Stars (Good), 2 Stars (Fair), 1 Star (Poor). YW=1 year labor warranty.
1. Sony 27SF13....5 Stars....$600
2. Sony 27FV17....5 Stars...$800
3. Toshiba 27AF61...5 Stars...$650 (YW)
4. Sony 27FS17....5 Stars....$700
5. Sony 27S66.....5 Stars....$450
6. Sharp 27R-FS1....4 Stars...$500 (YW)
7. RCAF27689...4 Stars.....$430
8. JVC 27F802....4 Stars....$750 (YW)
9. Samsung TXK2768....4 Stars...$350
10. Panasonic 27SX31...4 Stars...$700
11. Philips 27PT71B....4 Stars....$450
12. Samsung TXL2767....4 Stars...$300
13. JVC 27D502.....4 Stars...$400 (YW)
14. JVC 27D302...4 Stars...$350 (YW)
15. Toshiba 27A51/A41....4 Stars...$350 (YW)
16. Sharp 27R-S480...4 Stars...$350 (YW)
17. Sanyo DS27800.....3 Stars....$290
18. Zenith 27A24T....3 Stars...$300
19. Panasonic 27D11/D21...3 Stars...$300
As you can see from above report, Panasonic came in dead last and Sony 27S66 (basically S44 model without 2 PIP tuner and less inputs) was the only non-flat TV that receievd "Excellent" picture rating.

I would have to see the picture on some of these others, as I say, the picture on the JVC is incredibally good.
As requested, I am following up with the outcome. I was very happy with the picture of the JVC and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this TV to anyone, unfortunately, due to the speakers being down the sides, the TV was to big for where we were putting it. (I also would mention that we looked at this same TV in their 20" version and it too had a wonderul picture. As stated, I can highly recommend the JVC D series.)

I had stated earlier that their was a static "line" going down the screen of the JVC, this appears to be an issue with our new antenna and not the TV.

When I went on my TV search this past weekend, I was hoping to find the Samsung TV's listed above as their prices are amongst the best of the company the are listed in. I was unsuccessful at locating these.

I purhased a Sharp 27R-S480 at Best Buy for $302, $50 less than the JVC; it appears this TV is exclusively made for BB. The Sharp clearly had one of the best pictures of those we were viewing.

The only other TV's with pictures that were in the league and price range we were looking at were smaller 20" TV's, not counting the JVC, though it did cost more; such as the Sony KV-20FS12 for $300. We believed the Sharp with it's slimer design than the JVC would fit on our dresser, so it was a no brainer the choose the 27" Sharp. There may be others that compete, but of those we were able to view the Sharp stood out.

Now that I have the Sharp at home, I am VERY happy with it's picture.

A TV that also would of been "perfect" for us if it wasn't out of our budget was the Sony KV-24FV12. Being 24" this TV would of fit nicely on our dresser; Panasonic also has a 24" in their Tau series.