Preamp with a DNA-1, tube or SS?

I´m on the look-out for a new preamp, my poweramp is a McCormack DNA-1 dlx. Would it be better to go for a tube preamp? (like ARC, VTL) Speakers are Magnepan 3.6´s. I´d appreciate your help. Hasse
hasse
Hi Hasse; If you like neutral, consider Sonic Frontiers Line 1 or 2-- they sound great with the DNA series amps. Cheers. Craig
Hi Hasse,I should have mentioned that I replaced my 3BST with a DNA-1 Dlx and all of the pre amps that I tried with the 3BST sounded fine with my DNA-1 Dlx .In order, from good to the best sounding in my system ,Bryston BP-25MC ,Anthem Pre1L , Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Signature ,and my current one, the latest version of an Audible Illusions M3A .BTW the A.I. M3A has had upgrades every year since the "A" version was released in 1996 .The Line 1(used $1200.-$1500.)should sound simular to the SFL-1 Sig.(used $700.-$800.) and if you need a remote and it fits your budget,the Line 1 isn't a bad way to go.There are other good possibilities and these are the pre amps(except the Line 1) that I owned and compared in my system.
i ran the dna with cary slp50 with fantastic results. i also listened to it with the slp98 - even better - but decided to upgrade the mccormack to tubes later on david
I also have a DNA-1 Deluxe and a Modulus 3A with it. Nothing but praise for the combo.
Hi Kleiman, I plan to get the revision A upgrade for my DNA-1 Dlx.,when my budget allows and this believe it or not will bring the sound up to another serious level of improvement.I have read all favorable posts and I have been urged by any who responded to me to do this upgrade .The M3A is built like a tank and nothing should go wrong. As you know,their service has a reputation for taking extremely long and it is not uncommon for upgrades to take up to 3 months.If I had to send it in for service I would have to buy a used highly rated passive or tube pre amp to replace it during the long wait.On return a showdown would ensue with the winner remaining and the other getting sold.Happy listening.