preamps - vtl tl5.5/rogue 99/linn kairn

i currently use a linn kairn w/brilliant p/s & fono - great transparency/detail/clarity/pace, & convenience. considering toobs, & have narrowed it down to the vtl tl-5.5 & the rogue 99. both have optional internal fono, like the linn. i'm interested in the possibility of better soundstage depth, but don't wanna give up what the linn does well. speakers are meret re's, bi-amped w/a pair of electrocompaniet amps; lo-end is x-over'd at 60hz w/a marchand 24db/octave x-over, to a pair of bridged adcom gfa 555's driving vmps larger subs. any comments/suggestions? max budget is ~$2k (new *or* used). thanks
sedond
Purchase the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A. The Best Preamp period. Has the depth and slight warmth of tubes but great high end. Make sure you take the capacitors out of the signal path(a user option located on the circut board with dip switches). Of course this is my opinion, if you like a thicker,warmer sound, leave the capacitors in the signal path. Also, do not use the cd input for cd, as this input has some padding down, which in my experience detracts from the transparency of the unit through all other inputs. Read the reviews on this unit. Used pieces go for $1000-1700. I have used one for several years and can't go back to solid state although I've ventured out a couple of times. I have listened to the Rogue and thought the Audible was better. Have not listened to the VTL. Also the Audible has an great resale-ability going for it. Good Luck! Paul
I have a Rogue 99 with phono.I replaced the phono tubes with NOS 12AX7 Telefunkins and 12AU7 Radiotechniques.As far as the Audible Illusions3A sounding better than the Rogue 99 thats just plain silly.The 99 trounces the 3A in transparancy,layering,focus,detail and ESPECIALLY WARMTH.JEEZE!!! the 3A sounds cool and uninvolving(like solid state) The Rogue 66 is almost as good as the 3A and warmer also.The 99 trounces the 66 but its the big brother so you have to expect it.Audio Musings compared the baby brother 66 to the 3A and the 66 was prefered over the 3a in warmth,layering and enjoyment.The 3A had better detail(like S.S.) So figure it out your self.Read the Audio Musings review.Check out audioreview.com also.The reviewer rating for the 3A is around 4.4 or 4.6 I cant remember.The 99 is 5.0. The 99 kills the 3A PERIOD!!!!
Amen David 99!! I just brought this baby home for an in home audition, AWESOME!! It stays, Sonic Frontiers Line 2 goes. I cannot wait for a pro review on this piece, I think it has had the greatest impact of ANY of my changes, and thats a lot! Bloom, clarity, detail, you name it! For about 2k, it's a steal!
good choice dude!! I found some BDR cones #4 under my 99 added more magic to this fine pre.