BEST PHONO STAGE FOR UNDER OR OVER 1GRAN

What is the best phono stage for under or just over a grand? Lehman the black cube? EAR 843-? PHONOMENA?
bemopti123fbbc
I'm in the market for a phono section. Is the Rogue versitile enough to handle a variety of cartridges. Where is the Rogue available and also the tubes for the upgrade. Thanks Richard
A2Z, The Rogue 99 is a line stage preamp with a heavy metal remote.The line stage uses 4 tubes which are 6SN7.you can get stock tubes which probably would be Chinese or Rogue will install new old stock tubes for a bit more money.The phono stage I am talking about is an option for the 99 and is referred to as a on-board phono stage.The factory installs it inside the preamp.The Rogue on-board phono stage has 4 tubes.2 are 12AX7 which were Sovtek LPS.I found these tubes too noisey so I replaced them with Telefunkins.These are considered by many to be one of the best tubes you can get.You can get them for $35 each at upscaleaudio.com Ask for ANOS (almost new old stock) or you can get new old stock for $70-$120 each.The other 2 tubes were Jan Philips 12AU7.I replaced them with a NOS tube called RADIOTECHNIQUES.I bought these because the owner of Upscale audio suggested them.If you are in the market for a new preamp the 99 with phono will make yuo very happy.Rogue is a new company.The Rogue 66 is a fine preamp also but not on the level of the 99.Go to rogue.com or rogueaudio.com for prices,options etc.Lots of dealers sell Rogue.The website can direct you.Or call my dealer,Mario @ 914-421-0069 or E-Mail tfta.com or visit his web site.TOYS FROM THE ATTIC Hope this helps.
David, I have it on good authority (everyone that's heard and compared the thing, including the designer Mike Yee) that the Phonomena (WITHOUT the battery power supply) is 98% of the performance of an Audio Research PH-3 phono stage, which is a HIGH "Class A" rated component. I don't have the battery power supply yet, but expect to in the not too distant future...............I've not compared it directly to the Cube, but Bob at Elusive Disc, and everyone at Musical Surroundings, feels that it is far superior to the original Cube (none have compared it officially with any new or battery versions of the Cube, to my knowledge). I actually auditioned the Phonomena that was used at Hi-Fi '99, and the unit I have is a tad superior to it, with matched FET output devices............David, I'M NOT ONE WHO BLINDLY ACCEPTS TUBES SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY'RE TUBES. I certainly have never heard a tube power amp outperform my Krell in any way, and also have never heard a CD player coupled with a megadollar tube linestage that comes close to my Resolution Audio CD50, which is also a solid state device. SS is as good as real life, when it's done right, and they can be left on all the time. If you leave tubes on all the time, all you do is hasten the demise of the already short "prime" operating life of a tube. I look at it this way, for what you spend on tube replacements, I'm getting more software that you're missing out on......And I don't have a bias against tubes. When I hear a tube preamp that's better in every way than what I've got, I'll buy it. I should be able to afford it by then........I mentioned before that my headphone amp has 6922 tubes for the output, and I enjoy it very much...and because it is NOT euphonic, it's just accurate.
HI CARL,IVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY.I HAVE LEFT MY TUBE GEAR ON FOR SEVERAL DAYS STRAIGHT.I FEEL AN HOUR OR SO WARM UP TIME BRINGS IT ABOUT AT THE SAME PERFORMANCE LEVEL.ALBERT FEELS CERTAIN DESIGN TUBE GEAR CAN BE LEFT ON ALL THE TIME AND ACTUALLY LENGHTENS TUBE TIME.MY TELEFUNKINS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR 10-100,OOO HOURS.ALL MY OTHER TUBES UP TO 7500 HOURS.THATS MANY YEARS OF LISTENING.I FEEL THE EXTRA EXPENSE OF TUBES IS WORTH IT.INSTEAD OF GETTING TIRED OF A SOLID STATE SOUND AFTER A WHILE AND SELLING IT I COULD JUST UPGRADE MY TUBES FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS FOR AN IMMEDIATE,CHEAP,UPGRADE.TUBES ARE BEST,NO DOUBT.SOLID STATE IS MUCH MORE CONVIENIENT THATS FOR SURE.BUT THE REALISM AND SOUNDSTAGING OF TUBES CANT BE BEAT.I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS A KRELL KSA-250.IF I WANT A FREE HAIR CUT AND SHAVE I JUST GO SIT IN FRONT OF THAT FOR A WHILE.
David, your experience is yours, and my experience is mine, and the two are different. I'm ok with that. You are obviously biased against solid state, and I believe I am not biased against tubed devices. I just go by what I hear, and it's obvious neither of us will be changing our minds. I hope you're ok with that.