Levinson vs Threshold vs Plinius vs Bry

Replacing my beloved CJ Premier 11A to power my Proac Response 2.5s with faster, deeper, tighter bass control (ie rythmic drive)without moving too far towards a dry, analytical sound. Considering the following used amps: Levinson 27.5, Threshold Stasis 200, Plinius 100, Bryston 4BST. I would really like to hear opinions of anyone with experience with these amps and especially if familiar with the Proacs. Thanks very much. Chet McHenry
128x128comchenry
I am in the same predicament - looking for amplification for my new ProAc Response 2.5s. I tried compared the C-J to the Bryston and found (not surprisingly) that the Bryston had much better bass control but was too bright for my tastes. The C-J was absolutely captivating for female vocals and small scale acoustic music but lacked authority in the bass and sounded rolled off at the top. So my search continues. Going to audition a Plinius SA 100 soon. If that doesn't work out i'll probably by an Audio Research VT 100 MkII which works great with the 2.5s. It has a magical combination of good tube harmonics with surprising bass slam and authority _and_ very fine resolution of detail. But I have high hopes for the Plinius.
I am using my Proac 1.5's with a Bryston 4b with good results. You might want to add the VT100 mkII to your list as I heard them paired to 2.5's; they sounded great.
I love the ProAcs. I'm not sure why everyone always forgets about Ayre. I have an Ayre V3 and I believe this amp is better sounding than all of the above and is about as close as a solid state amp can get to being a tube amp. (also with power and detail in the low frequences) They can be had on the used market for 2K and under just make sure that you at least get one with the first upgrade. Mating these with a good tube preamp is a match made in audio heaven. I use an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A. This is a very musical combo and will beat hands down all of the amps mention in this post. Do yourself a favor and go out and hear one, you won't regret it. Best of luck in your quest!
Levinson vs Threshold vs Plinius vs Bryston. Forget about Threshold or Bryston for ProAc's! ML, maybe, but probably not. Plinius is the superior choice for solid state.
It is very easy to write Bryston off as an excellent match for the 2.5's because a)It is easy to draw the (incorrect)conclusion that Bryston ST series amps lack refinement. The improvement over previous series Bryston amps is amazing. b) Our brains struggle with the concept that something that costs so little (by comarison) could sound so right. I had the CJ Premier 11a and I understand "warmth" and 'beauty" in musical reproduction. What I enjoy most is the immediacy and dynamics that I feel when attending a live performance in a small venue with good acoustics. I found the Bryston to be very dynamic and involving without sounding the least bit bright or fatiuging. Perhaps my other components are helping to smooth out some of the edginess that some recordings possess. The 2.5's are forgiving, as well as the PV12 CJ preamp, Classe cdp.5 CD and MIT cables. I agree that the big, expensive Levinson amps are unmatched in soundstage depth and width and other areas but not not in any huge way. The price difference on the other hand is amazing. My point: Bryston ST amps are too often written off as not being true "high end". Who really knows the motives behind those who are saying that. Don't be fooled. Be careful with system matching and listen for yourself but get ready to be impressed.