Kef Kube equalizer

Audio junkies: Can anyone explain the function of the Kef Kube equalizer, and tell me whether there is a viable substitute? I just bought a used pair of Kef Reference 103/4 speakers. I need to repair the dual-woofer surrounds, so I haven't heard them yet. I have read glowing reviews,however, but most recommend using the Kef Kube 200 active equalizer to bring out the bass response (without colouration, I'm told). I have submitted an Audiogon want-ad for a Kube 200, but I'm wondering if there is a substitute in the event I can't find one. Are these things simply graphic equalizers? Also, on the diagrams I've seen, the unit appears to just have RCA jacks. If that is true, can you even use one with a mid/high-end A/V receiver? Thanks. -KlipschKing
klipschking
Hi DB

Thanks for chiming in too. The subwoofer solution that I mention in my post above turns out came from a thread years ago here in the forum that you contributed too. I couldn't post to that thread because it was preserved for archival purproses.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl_u?cspkr&1269575571&&&&&/KEF-103-3-KUBE-substitution

Eldartford and Unsound

Thank you both again. I have a lot to think about. Do I go with the DEQ2496 or do I get subs and not have the KEF 103/3s work to their full potential? That and the extra equipment I would have to bring into my set-up where the 103/3s will be. 2 subs are going to take up space that I'm beginning to run out of. I'm probably going to try the EQ first and then if not MAYBE a larger single sub. I'm hoping it can do the job of 2. This is for my secondary set-up which I do mostly nearfield listening.
Unsound & Klipschking,

The KEF museum claims the 103/4 has useful LF to 50 Hz, so setting the crossover to a sub at 60 Hz might seem prudent, although I doubt 80 Hz is too high for most high quality subs. I've tried both with my 104/2s, and notice little if any difference, so I use 80 Hz in deference to the smaller 102s I use for center and side channels. Unless you're a pipe organ fan as I am, the 104/2s track the fretting of a jazz bass very nicely, but they won't give you that felt more than heard experience when a big pipe is invoked.

db
DBPHD

I have a question about your theater setup with your Kef 104/2s with a pair of subs. It sounds like you take the L and R signal from your pre/pro to the subs and output the signal after the 80 Hz crossover on the subs to the Kefs...

My question is.. do you tell the processor that you don't have a sub and let the processor mix the lfe signal (.1) back into the LR channels?

Would you gain anything by taking one of your subs and assigning this to the lfe channel while the other sub does the LR stereo sound?

I have the Kube 200 and just added the sub for home theatre but remember hearing the Kefs with a sub as being a magical system back in the day of two channel music.