Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Mapman, as usual this is again your argument. But this time I question the logic. First of all I could see the argument that were one to put a modest camera in the hands of a "good" photographer "great" photos result. I would say yes in the hand of a great photographer. Am I missing something here?

But the "skills" of the user determine the results. What is among the skills"? Good ears? Reading the specks? Knowing a good manufacturer? Is the same true that a good movie is determined by the user? Are there no better sounding units?

I think that a good chef tends to have good foods, but most do favor a good source for their meat, veggies, wine, etc.

Finally, are you skilled?
Tbg not sure what needs explaining. Assuming high standards to start not all achieve results to their satisfaction as fast or easily. That's pretty much how all of life works. Ability to learn and apply knowledge is probably the most important ingredient in any endeavor.

I'm better now than I have ever been prior I think. So I'm making progress. I have been mostly satisfied with how my stuff sounds now for a few years. That has not always been the case in the past. I've learned a lot from others on this site in recent years.

How about you?
I'm not getting it either but we know that people don't like the same things. Maybe the question should read: "How do we get more people interested in audio".

Anyway it is hard to imagine any Audiophile being completely satisfied with their current system yet few state they are. Maybe the ones that have spent years of trial and error have reached this point and or have accumulated enough knowledgeable to finally reach their objectives.

On an earlier post Oregopapa mentions that some people live a shallow life because their homes lack books and music, I agree, it could be they are extremely busy or they truly are shallow, in fact these same people don't even know their alive. Music is the universal language, a proverbial time machine but more importantly it is relaxing and enjoyable. Coming home to a good system is like finding an oasis in a vast desert.
Phd,
Are you really a Phd?, I ask because you wrote their instead of they're.