DIY Stereo Rack

I want to build a music system rack but get a headache after trying to chose what route to go. Is the hardest densest wood like ash or walnut best. Or something softer? I was thinking of using countertop cement for shelves. My thinking being the harder it is the easier vibrations transfer. Cement being not so dense may not transfer vibrations so readily. If styrofoam was stronger why not use blocks of it for super vibration isolation? Thanks for any insight you can provide. Bob
guiddog
Maple is an excellent choice but if the cost is dear then Birch is a good substitute. They are close on the hardness scale being from similar families. Ash and walnut look fine and are hard as well so it's really just a matter of taste and what's available.

I'd stay away from the styrofoam (you were joking, right?).
:-)

All the best,
Nonoise
Agree with maple. When I was reading what folks think audio components sound good sitting on maple came up very often -Regards Jet
My two favorites are Maple and Sapelle, both species are very dense and VERY stable once finished. Making a couple of Racks for one of my Tube systems (Canary) out of Sapelle currently.

Good Listening

Peter
I used slate for mine. If you are looking at stone, slate is about as dead as you can get. The stuff is heavy though so you better have strong help when it's time to move it. Luckily I have a couple of rugged grandsons available.
When I built mine I was looking for a ruff hewn look. If I was going to build a new rack I'd use finished slate pieces for a more refined look. Check my system page for a pic.
Below is a thread about building a rod and block rack to which many people, including Timrhu, contributed.

Mine is in maple; I note, with amazement and dismay, that it's been almost ten years. In contrast to its builder, the rack has held up just fine. :)

Good luck!

John

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1158841915&read&keyw&zzflexi-type