Using solid copper Door Bell wire as speaker wire.

In the search for good speaker wire that doesn't break the bank, I came across a forum where one guy asserted that solid copper door bell wire would be the same as the solid copper wire that costs big bucks. The wire in question is 18 gauge. Can anyone out there confirm or rebut this assertion?

I've got Audio Research D-51 tube amp, Audible Illusions Modulus tube pre-amp, Rogers L2sa speakers, Oppo BDP95 CD and Project Expression III Classic turntable with Sumiko Pearl cartridge.
sprintz699
When the efficacy of expensive cables or tweaks is challenged by someone who might be considered to be a skeptic about such things, especially where the claimed efficacy seems unexplainable or quantitatively counter-intuitive on the basis of generally recognized science, it is common for responses to be along the lines of "if you haven't tried it, you can't have an opinion."

It seems to me that such a response would be no less applicable to those who would challenge the efficacy of specific inexpensive or DIY cables such as those being discussed here, theoretical considerations about metal purity and other factors notwithstanding.

Regards,
-- Al
All I know is I can hear a significant difference between cables on my system, even 12 gauge monster cable from best buy, I can hear a difference between 5ft,6ft, 8 ft even with this cable, going from Tara Labs the one cable system to the zero gold, omega gold, cobalt power cord was a revelation I will not forget, was huge!
Al, you read my minds on that one!!!!

The difference is cheap tweaks are well cheap and less risky.

Expensive tweaks are well expensive and hence more risky unless one is certain of the results beforehand, which is often NOT the case.

By definition, it is NOT the case with a "skeptic".

So one can make of it as they would from there.