Directional speaker cables - switching direction

Some time ago I started a thread regarding speaker wire directionality and my inability to understand how it could have any affect on sound quality. The question was inspired by the fact that, after quite a few years using them with my Martin Logan Odysseys, I discovered that the cables (Straightwire Octave 2) had arrows printed on them. Not surprisingly the opinions expressed were pretty strong on both sides of the argument but those supporting directionality were the most vociferous and in greater numbers, one to the point of being downright insulting. In no case, though, was an explanation given by those supporting the importance of cable direction for how this phenomenon occurs except that it should be obvious that when a cable is broken in in one direction only someone with an uneducated ear would be unable to discern the difference.

Even though I still don't get it I'm not taking the position that there is no validity to the directional claim; if there truly is I just don't understand how. This leads me to my two part question. I haven't been using the Octaves for a few years but now, because of cable length issues, I want to put them back in my system partly to avoid the cost of new quality cables.

IF, then, the directionality theory IS valid and I don't recall which way the arrows originally pointed or which direction they were "broken in" do those in support of directionality think I should install them with the arrows pointing toward the speakers
128x128broadstone
Many believe that direction should not matter since we're dealing with AC current (charge flows in both directions). It might be a little bit more complicated than that, since energy is delivered only in one direction by the electromagnetic field on the outside of the cable (Poynting Field). I just don't know enough to question sanity or honesty of cable designer while I don't see any reason not to use it in recommended direction.
And then flip them back and forth at least two and preferably three or more times, not only to verify that your perceptions are consistent, but that the perceived difference (if any) is not the result of an extraneous variable (for example, changes in contact integrity, changes in AC line voltage or noise conditions, changes in room temperature or humidity, etc).

Hi Al,

As for contact integrity I would suggest cleaning the contacts before swapping the cables end for end and then listening for a while to get used to any differences in sound from the system. This should establish a common base line for the test. Then flip the cables end for end. Listen to the same music that listened to before flipping the cables.
Room environment should not change in just a couple of hours or so, of the same day, for the listening test.
Jim
Thanks, Jim.

One more possible extraneous variable I would keep in mind, adding to my earlier list, is the equipment being in unequal states of warmup during the different parts of the comparison.

Or the possibility that even if the system is shut down briefly enough to avoid a significant change in warmup conditions while the cable directions are being changed, that just the fact that power has been cycled may somehow affect the amplifier or other components. Why might that be? I don't know, but the possibility seems to me to be no more unlikely than the possibility that changing the direction of a symmetrically designed cable would affect the sound.

As I see it there's no substitute for going back and forth multiple times during the assessment, before reaching (and/or promulgating) any conclusions, rather than just flipping once.

Best regards,
-- Al
Yep clean, back, fourth, listen, clean, back, fourth, listen etc for several certain days touching each season and each portion of 24 hours.
keep truckin and dream will come true -- you'll hear things different!
Post removed