Grover Huffman GH RCA ZX+ cables vs...

At the $200/pair price point new or used, how does GH ZX+ cables compare to others like Greg Straley Reality cables, Gabriel gold (GG) revelation/raptures and alike...

I am looking for a cable that is neutral, and does not act as a filter in any way to highlight a certain portion of the music. From top to bottom it must allow the source material to come through..
dvdgreco
Hi Sabai,
I tried and owned HiDiamond P4, Shunyata Alpha Digital, Alpha HC, Sigma HC, High Fidelity CT-1, etc. None trounces others with the way you're suggesting here - night and day differences and the inferior one is trash material. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses and depending on the component you put them on, the characteristics may differ as well. At this price point for the cables mentioned above - higher than entry level by a couple of folds but may be a step or two below reference level - they are all good performers in their own right. Some maybe better than others on more parameters but it rarely comes without a weakness, at least IME. I prefer CT-1 over Sigma HC in my main system, but on my second system, even Alpha HC or Hidiamond P4 brings out equal level of satisfaction that I get with CT-1. It is almost always about system synergy and power cables are one of the hardest to do comparison in this hobby and for you to discredit a lot of cables manufacturers like the way you do is very disrespectful and TBH not really doing yourself a good favor either (although I do agree that there are as many shrill cable manufacturers as there are genuine ones).
NOTE: I did try Grover power cables, ICs and speaker cables a long time ago (cannot remember the model), I felt they were good for the price, but I had moved on from them for a reason I do not remember. If given a chance, I'd like to try the latest. But I'm not like you. As much as I know cables are important, I am a believer (also IME) in that once you address your system to a certain level of cabling, spending more on component change still gives bigger performance leap than spending more on cables.
Kzhtoo,

I agree with you. It is all about system synergy. But, IMO, cables choices can be as critical as component choices in the overall picture. It depends on the system and the component. Also, room treatments can be very important in the overall picture. IMO, it all adds up to system dependence.

Different strokes for different folks.
I ignored Sabai (on this forum issue) and bought Grover's interconnects and speaker cables, and he advised me to use some silver wire jumpers rather than biwire my 2-way speakers, which he made for a very reasonable price. They are all broken in now and sound great. I really like the clarity and directness of his cables, compared to my form MIT Tube Terminator loom. Grover's advice and professionalism were excellent. Highly recommended.
(Audio society review.) It was recommended not to send a digital connection for review because the Grover Hoffman punished everything they threw at.

Well, there were three of us seasoned vets and one novice. Starting with the digital cable. It was compared to a DH Labs BL-1, Black Cat Veloce', and a Grover Huffman. It was unanimous that your cable was fuller, smoother and more dynamic. A hands down winner. Next are the power cables, Their signature are the hardest to ascertain. My system was 3 DCCA's on the front end and a pair of VH Audio flavor 4 on the power amps. Put the first set of PC's that you reccomended on the CD player and the DAC. Noticed a very slight increase in punch but very little if any other changes. Which is saying a lot for your cables. Then put the Magenta pair on the power amps. "More detail" and "light footed" were the original comments. However as the evening progressed and a swap back and forth once again, your PC's were preferred. With the limited time with the PC's, no noticeable shortcomings have shone thru yet. Good dynamics, good detail, no noticeable smear, good bass, seems like good set of PC"s. Further listening may show some anomaly's but at this they are good. On to the speaker cables. I had warned you that they were up against some stiff competition. While not a very fair contest comparing a (retail) $3200 cable against your's, still all in all yours held up respectabaly. The Silnote was more detailed and holographic, yours a little recessed with a very slight veil. We did not compare them to any other cables at this time but all of us felt that for the price they are a no brainer. Anyone looking at speaker cables under $1000 should definitely check these out.
I am interested in purchasing the 4 PC"s and the digital cable. Please shoot me some pricing on those Audio Envy cables. Also interested in trying out some of your interconnects.
Job well done.
I am Grover’s cable tester. I have several high end systems. I have been through nearly 100 versions of cable, mostly unmarketed. I disliked his 2004 Empress Cable made with a partner. I disliked most of his early trials during the 2000-2010 period as well. Grover retained his parented cable design and wire manufacturing but kept adding more ingredients such as superlative tri-metal shielding covered with a copperwire mesh shield and his own manufactured IC connectors of 20 micron silver over pure copper.

The original ZX cable was good for the price but I felt was to forward and bright. Since then he improved it twice ZX+ and ZX dot dot. In 2015, he made the EX/EX+ cable. In 2016, he arrived at the Empress line. His three versions include a subtle change in one of the positive wires (silver to copper) and then his current cable which reduced the capacitance by 50% (teflon sleeve over the positive wires only). He brought his EX and Empress wires to the L.A. shows in 2015 and 2016 and had fantastic results replacing several systems with just the I.C.s.

Although I paid for all the cables, I retain all the EX cables and Empress cable models because they are all excellent. I use his latest Empress on my two high end audio only systems and the prior Empress cables on my two video systems with EX+ cables on computer speakers. Sabai has no idea how good the Empress cables sound on a wide variety of high end systems.

As to his power cables, even his earlier SX and ZX cables are excellent. The EX and Empress power cables are outstanding bargains, better than so many high end power cables tested.

There is so much proprietary technology that goes into manufacturing the Grover cables which are hand assembled that I doubt any other manufacturer would do the same. His parented wires are individually pulled through two steel cylinders to flatten, polish and create the embossed zig-zag pattern to eliminate skin effect. No one else does this. His site shows the basics on the cable but there is more which Sabai does not know about that Grover discovered. http://www.groverhuffman.com/home

I receive no enumeration for promoting what I find to be the best bargain in high end cables.