Modding Synergistic Research MPC to Galileo status

I recently had the good fortune of upgrading my stock Synergistic Research MPCs closer to Galileo Status by the help of a friend who is inclined to do such work.

He replaces the Synergistic MPC's four cheap, general purpose 1 amp rectifier diodes with four ultra fast, soft recovery IXYS rectifier diodes and the 470uf 50 volt dirt cheap chinese electrolytic cap with a 680uf Panasonic FM extremely low impedance, high ripple current, long life (7000 hrs). It is now a super low noise power supply.

This mod provides better shielding to Synergistic Research cables resulting in more transparency, blacker backgrounds, increased detail and warmth with even lower noise floor than stock MPCs.

I was really taken aback by the improvements mentioned above. When considering the cost of a Galileo MPC, this mod is a downright bargain.

The cost of this mod will be $40-50. I can provide contact information for additional questions regarding components and price.
128x128michaelspallone
Hawkrising,

Glad you like the mods. Makes it a no-brainer for anyone considering the "quantum" leap to the Galileo MPC.
I too can attest to the stock MPC to the Galileo MPC upgrade and to the attributes that Devilboy describes and would like to add that any attempt to solidify the stability of the power supplied to the MPC(s) is very worthwhile.

I started off with using balanced power for the MPC power strip and then found that regenerated AC power really boosted the MPC's performance resulting in an improved image/soundstage solidity along with increased bass agility and high frequency purity.

Using unbalanced power with the Galileo MPC's is a major step up from the stock MPC's and using regenerated AC power for the Galileo MPC's is an even bigger step up akin to going from the stock MPC's to the Galileo's.

If you ever get the chance, try to hear your SR MPC's whether stock, modified or the Galileo upgrade powered by regenerated AC power. Your jaw will drop :-)
How right you are Nmmusicman. I am using an ExactPower EP15A with the M.S. modified MPC and it is really a match made in heaven. Why anyone would pay for the Galileo MPC is beyond me. For anyone on the fence about doing this, open up the Galileo MPC and take a look at what Synergistic is charging $450 for. The Galileo is a great MPC, but considering that the same performance can be achieved for 1/8th the price makes it a no-brainer to get Micheal's mod.
Devilboy, I must correct you on one thing, to be fair the list price of a SR Galileo MPC is not $450.00 its $399.00. However, you are correct in that it is way overpriced for what's inside. Four ordinary 1 amp schottky high speed rectifier diodes, an axial lead electrolytic cap of unknown origin with their logo on it, all hot glued in place, does not add up to $399.00 no matter how much quantum tunneling is performed!
My modification to your stock SR MPCs got you there for less than 1/8th the price, as you well know! You will not find a better sonic improvement option for Synergistic Research active cable owners with stock MPCs! BTW I sold my Galileo MPC a few days ago. No longer needed!
Cool! I will be doing this mod as soon as I get my Tungsten power cable. Also good info about plugging it into my PS Audio P3 AC regenerator.