Cables ... what's up with them?

Can't quite come to terms with spending significant amounts on cables / interconnects. Looking for moderately priced IC's, I came across Phantom Cables (at infinitecables.com; $100 for 3 ICs). Figured had to sound better than the stuff that came with the cable box and DVR I bought. A marked downgrade in audio enjoyment transpired. Which is true?

Better cables revealed weaknesses elsewhere in the system?
Have to spend WAY more to get real improvement?
I have gritty tastes

Right now I'm sold on the crap that came with the cable box

Ed
ekurilla
educate your ear by auditioning different types of cables. that is, listen to copper,silver and gold-based cables. losten to cables with different dielectrics and of course the connectors will vary too.

the problem is there are many variables and it is impossible to predict how a cable will perform in a given system.

however, the learning experience is worth it.
Thanks, guys! And so it begins ...

Any suggestions on how to try many without dropping a bundle and ending up with 12 sets of cables?

Ed
Contact the Cable Company as they have a loaner program and will let you audition a number of cables for a nominal fee. When you are done you just return them. If you happen to like any you auditioned they can sell you what you need. Also, there are a number of vendors that offer no risk trial periods. They are worth looking into as well.
The Cable Company is a good choice. I believe Clear Day Cables still offer a demo pair or two that are already broken in. If you like them, buy a new pair while you send back the demo pair. There should be enough samples out there to give you a good idea of what you like based on what works in your system.

All the best,
Nonoise