Do you ever doubt you ears ?

I think I have very good hearing, probably better than average based on occasions when listening together with others. I have years of experience listening to a huge range of systems and equipment, a-b
comparisons etc., and I have also read an enormous amount about the subject. No doubt many here are at a higher level than I am.

When comparing cables I sometimes get confused. I hear big differences/improvements sometimes but when I go back to the reference a week later it sounds better. Switching around confuses me more. Bass is always the easiest and most consistent to compare. I start doubting my ears or my memory, especially when my opinion is 180 degrees different to reviews.
mike60
I don't doubt my ears, but my brain seems to interpret things in very funny ways at times. Folks in this hobby who have SOs who also listen have a big advantage on those of us who suffer our systems alone.
When I do A/B/A comparisons, the final hearing is definitive. With some things, such as line stages and ac filters, this is difficult. But yes, I trust my ears. There is nothing else as I think same/different 30 sec. comparisons have nothing to do with listening to music. With many tweaks, the final A listening is with it out. Frequently, I prefer it out. I have quite a few tweaks lying around no longer in use.
I don't doubt my ears as much as I doubt what I am hearing.
As mentioned at the end of your question, evaluating cables is most difficult for me. It takes several attempts to decypher the differences once the process begins. Blind Tests are best but very difficult with only one person.
What you describe is the way the equipment has been marketed over the years. A company comes out with a new driver or new amplifier or new upgrade to existing piece of gear. You hear it and you hear "big differences" so you upgrade. Six months later you wonder what happened. Sure the bass got bigger but it doesn't go lower, just seems to overload your room. The pre amplifier has a new cap in it. Now the highs are supposed to be "better". 6 months later your ears are burning.

I don't doubt my ears if I am satisfied with my system for years. I doubt my brain if I fall for the hype...