8 gauge vs 10 gauge OF speaker cable

Hi,

I got a question regarding speaker cables. Is there any difference between 8 gauge and 10 gauge. The length of the cables are around 7 feet. Also, what is the different between tin coated OFC and regular OFC speaker cables? I heard the tin one has better sound.

Thanks,

Steven
kariya1997
I thought for relatively short speaker wire runs (less than 12ft) you could use 14AWG or even 16AWG and have no issues with sound. For really long runs 50ft or more that was when you would get to 10AWG or 8AWG. I have to check around now out of curiosity. With the tin coating doesn't that help against oxidation?
Don't worry about the tin coating. Supra uses this method and they make very nice cables.

As for gauge, don't be afraid to even go to 24 or 26 gauge. An example is the Sakura Systems/47 Labs OTA cable.
I agree with all the above posts. In my experience with quite a few speaker cables, there is NO correlation between sound quality and fat wire gauge. Especially for a short run. In fact, thin cables like DNM Reson, Mappleshade, or AntiCable may very well prove be your cup of sonic tea.
I disagree with the previous posts regarding the gauge not having an affect on sound quality. In my experience larger wire has a much warmer sound than thin wire.