AudioQuest DBS Field

Does anyone who have cable audioquest whit a dbs field battery pack can tell me what it can improve. I read about it on the official site but i would like to have a consumer impression.
128x128thenis

Audioquest countered that such a test would not reveal anything since the purpose of the battery's electric field is to keep the dialectic formed, and once formed it takes days or weeks to unform.

"Dielectric forming" is nonsense. At least in this context.

I think it got started when someone heard about dielectric forming with regard to aluminum electrolytic caps and didn't quite understand what that was about and so came to believe that all dielectrics somehow need "forming."

With aluminum electrolytic capacitors, the dielectric is the layer of aluminum oxide on the aluminum foil used for the plates of the capacitor.

When these caps are new, the manufacturer applies a voltage to them which causes a current to flow through the cap (not the same thing as current flow during the charging of a cap). Basically they're anodizing the foil. As the aluminum oxide layer builds up, the current diminishes.

So you're literally "forming" the dielectric of the capacitor.

However none of this applies to other dielectrics such as plastics.

Interesting thing though about polarizing a dielectric that's situated between two conductors...

It's the same principle used to make condenser microphones.

*picking up cable* Check one two... Check one two... Can you hear me back there? *THUMP!* *THUMP!* *THUMP!*

;)
These DBS are interesting. I am not a cable fanatic, I use Cheetah, Sky and Leopard for Tonearm. I made some comparisons with 36V, then 72V and 144V DBS. The difference is in the silence of the Background. Difficult to explain, not the usual "I hear more Bass, better Highs"....and so on. Simply super clean from Details. I guess, these DBS also work as a kind of shielding. Yes, and I agree with the other ones, forget the "Burn-In-time", they are always on top from Performance.
But they are also good without the DBS.
you can read a much more detailed analysis on the US Patent website---Bill Low patented this technology. then make up your own mind.

that said, all the reviews i've read say its difficult to hear a difference, so ymmv bigtime here.

Keithr

you can read a much more detailed analysis on the US Patent website---Bill Low patented this technology.

First, a patent doesn't mean anything. You can patent anything you want. It doesn't have to work or even do what you claim it does.

Second, there's no analysis at all in the DBS patent (7,126,055 for those interested). Low simply makes a number of unsubstantiated claims. You might as well read their marketing literature.

I did find one thing of note in the patent however that relates to something I'd said previously:

"In other words, and as indicated above, cables of this type may be thought of as long capacitors being gradually charged (i.e., "formed") by the electrical signal as the signal is communicated along a conductor surrounded by an insulating dielectric material."

This makes it pretty clear that Low has a rather basic misunderstanding with regard to dielectric "forming" and doesn't realize that this is something that only relates to aluminum electrolytic capacitors.
I wasn't saying anything about claims or not---just about that it was one place you could read more about it.

chill out Simply Q.