NOS Western Electric wire used for power cables??

I see that some people are starting to use this wire for speaker cables and ac power cables. Is anyone here using this wire? How does it compare to the cables on the market today? THANK YOU
hifisoundguy
Bigkidz - did you buy this product? If so what are your opinions about it?

For reference:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-AWG-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-WIRE-AC-POWER-CORD-AUDIOPHILE-/320536607615?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aa1787b7f

or

http://mojo-audio.com/

I have heard from one purchaser that while the cables are a relatively new offering the design has been getting tweaked fairly often over a short period of time (not unusual for some manufacturers). About the only thing that has remained constant is the actual wire itself. Also, seems like a price increase is on the way once the initial introductory offer expires.
Clio09 I have purchased similar cables in the past and have also made a few back in the day. Every cable has a sound to it. Some are much better then others. The Helix design is very good at lowering the noise floor, providing details and nice soundstage. Top to nottom it will be very balanced. The cheaper cable on ebay is a different design then the one offered on the website so they will have a different sound. I have seen many manufacturers change designs quite often to as they "discover" new/better was to implement a design, and manufacturer the design. What makes Mojo-Audio's product more of a risk to by and use as Shunyata? Do they have magic wire being produced for them? My neighbors new car broke down but my ten year old Lexus has never caused me an issue. I like to hear things in my system before I purchase so that I can compare what I own and determine if the new item is better in my system. For the price of the cable it is worth a try, I know that I have spend more on cables. The Elrod comes to mind and that went through three changes in design. BTW, I don't own them any more, lost a ton of money on them and found something I prefer in my system for a lot less.

As for the price increase - supply and demand???

What makes Mojo-Audio's product more of a risk to by and use as Shunyata?
The fact that the wire and its insulation are many decades old. Perhaps that is made irrelevant by the fact that "the stranded wire used to make these power cords was engineered by Western Electric for use as an AC power conductor in high end applications like military and professional grade products" (quoting the Mojo writeup), but I would be hesitant to bet the safety of my house or its occupants on it :-)

I am an antique radio collector, and having encountered and replaced power wiring and other internal wiring in a great many 1930's radios that had brittle and/or crumbling insulation, I would advise caution.

Regards,
-- Al
Almarg - agreed caution but the WE wire being used in the cores is NOS so the designer has the ability to check the wire for what that is worth. The wire inside the radios had curent going through it along with some heat. I am by no means an expert so you can try a person on ebay called oldwestuff, I think he knows the WE wire very well.

Elizabeth

"Copper developes an oxide which acts as a protective layer which prevents futher oxidation"..AND prevents current flow. Copper oxydation is BAD for signal transfer. since the wire carries the signal ON THE SURFACE OF THE WIRE, and the wire has oxydation, it SUCKS at carrying the signal.

Oh please!

A surface layer of oxidation a few tens of molecules thick isn't going to have any appreciable effect whatsoever when it comes to current flow. Whatever effect it would have at reducing the cross sectional area of the wire would be totally swamped by differences due to simple manufacturing tolerances.

For that matter, it would also be swamped by the effective reduction of cross sectional area due to skin effect and proximity effect.

Worrying about a bit of oxidation is like worrying about whether your wire is 24 gauge or 24.0001 gauge. Are you really telling people that they have to worry about something as utterly insignificant as that? Really?

And no, the signal is NOT carried on the surface of the wire. Signal current flows throughout the entire cross section of the wire. While skin effect will tend to cause the current density to be somewhat higher TOWARD the surface of the wire, all of the current flows WITHIN the wire. And a little bit of oxidation isn't going to have any appreciable effect on that whatsoever.

Nice you put a LINK. so the crazy know where to blow money spent foolishly

Why do you feel the need to engage in personal attacks against those who might enjoy using some vintage wire in their audio systems? And what do you care how they spend their own money?

I suspect a conspiracy here to start selling some crap useless wire to unsuspecting audiophools.
IMO.

It's hardly useless as it works just fine, though again, I wouldn't recommend using it for power cables as it was never made for that purpose in the first place and can pose some serious safety issues.

You really need to loosen your sphincter a few... dozen notches. Getting your panties all in a bunch just because someone else might enjoy something that you would not isn't healthy.