bi wiring

Can anyone tell me what the benifits are for bi wiring speakers. It seems to me that you are accomplishing the same thing as using the jumpers at the binding posts. I can see the benifits of bi amping, just a little confused about bi wiring.
jasonh37
I guess thank you, but next time please bypass my tedious questions and let someone with a little more patients answer. I would rather have no replies than be berated for my lack of knowledge or lack of grammar. I am sorry, but I have just recently started getting into audio. I have only been a member of this sight for approx. 2.5 months. I will try to SEARCH! first next time to save you from carpal tunnel syndrome.
Just as counterpoint, some of Theo's statements are simply not true. For example, "I beleive that the benefit of bi-wiring is that a seprate run from the amp output allows the frequencies to seperate according demand." Cables cannot do this without a crossover.

And, while I have yet to heard any advantage to biwiring (as long as the original wire is adequate), there is no significant disadvantage to it. Try it.

Kal
I can only add that I am confused that speaker cable companies would take the time and effort to produce cables that employ different metalurgy and guages of wire in one cable run, if they didn't believe it could make a difference in frequency and time delivery. Jason, I can only suggest that since you have raised the question, that you should experiment with bi-wiring. As mentioned in my original post some people do hear a differnce while some don't. Again it all depends on your ears, and system. There is no right or wrong for everyone. So far you have heard from someone who does and one who doesn't hear a difference. Some speaker manufacturers add bi-wireable connections and others don't. An one last point here Jason, is you never mentioned your speakers or amplification? I wish to add that I am just answering your thread and don't intend to debate the subject. These thougts occurred after my first response. Hope it helps.
I am confused that speaker cable companies would take the time and effort to produce cables that employ different metalurgy and guages of wire in one cable run, if they didn't believe it could make a difference in frequency and time delivery
??? Theo, the propagation "time" differences would be below experimental limits of measurement... electrons run fast -- at close the speed of light in fact (that's faster than a Ferrari). WHy would people produce these? Maybe because it's a product likely to be purchased... As to gauge, you could try very thin wire that would typically favour transfer of higher frequencies vs.. thicker cable that would favour lower frequencies.

Two cables (biwiring) reduce the possibility of intermodulation...

The easiest is to try! Cheers
Anyone who asks Why biwire? will eventually get the response: I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation how it could be advantageous. When that explanation is supplied - biwiring isolates the current passing to the different drivers and allows you to select gauges especially suited for each run - you'll hear that the advantages aren't really advantageous and it's all marketing and nonsense. You've already gotten the best advice - try it. Then rest easy knowing you've exploited the full potential of your speakers.