Speaker cables from same brand as interconnects?

Many of the fellow audiophiles say in one's system speakers cables should be from the same brand as the interconnects. In my opinion this is not often the case. It is true that many cable brands have their own "house sound", so certain sonic characterics apply for both the interconnects and speaker cables. But one has to realize that they should have other properties as well as they are meant to carry different kind of electrical signals (voltage based vs current based electrical signals). In my case I'm using Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables and pure silver interconnect cables (Wireworld Gold Eclipse) because I feel these are the strategic places these cables can offer the most sonic benefit. I think the same theory holds true for power cords and digital interconnects. What do you think?

Chris
dazzdax
If all your equipment is from the same manufacturer and model type, then I would think keeping with one brand of cables through out the system would make sense.

But, we mix and match our components .
Each componenet will have different cable perfomance needs.
This usually means mix and matching cables.

P.S. Dont forget Power cords !!!
("you'll shoot your eye out")
Merry Christmas!
As i've mentioned before, many cable companies / cable manufacturers grab hold of one design approach and use that cable design / geometry through-out their entire product line. Since there are different electrical considerations to be taken into account between the various mating components that cabling terminate, there really is no "one size fits all" cable geometry. Some may be more universal than others, but "universal" and "optimal" are rarely the same things.

With that in mind, one is usually forced to use multiple different brands at various junctures of the system. That is, if one is truly interested in achieving optimal results. Going the route of one brand surely makes things easier, and so long as one is happy with the results, i guess convenience with pleasant sonics is more than good enough for many folks. Then again, some of us do like to tinker, hence the reason you'll find us here on forums like this : ) Sean
>
I think there is a misnomer that if a company makes a good ___ then they also make good ___. If we look at this philosophy from afar it makes no sense. Speaker cables are closest in design to power cords, as far as current needs. Interconnects are carrying a very small signal a short distance. These two are completely different animals, but most companies making cables simply make a few modifications to what ever cable they started with, and sell it as a complete line.

The time and money required to design from scratch a good and unique cable is staggering, and to think all companies are doing this for every cable line and type of cable is naive at best.

Now consider how many cable companies also offer cable enhancing products, power conditioning, fuses, outlets, followed closely by the newest line of components. REALY?? Are they really that smart that they offer cutting edge design and material usage in every category of audio?

So the answer to your question is, for the best possible sonic characteristics from your system, you need to find the cables that represent the best possible design. This will inevitably lead you to different cables for your interconnects, speaker cable and power cords. In fact, one good design for a power cord may work flawlessly on the amp, but sound bright and edgy on the CD player. The manufacturer will try to develop a CD player cord by elimination gauge or change the wire material, but this becomes backwards design.

I have found every application is different, including the locations of interconnects, meaning between which components. This means we must find the design that started the chain of products, and look to it for a potential cable in our systems.

Now having said all that, I do believe some companies are actually designing for each application, and therefor it is possible to find one company to serve your entire system needs. I have not personally discovered that company, but it could exist.

As Clio stated, part of the fun of our hobby is trying different cables, power products, isolation products... Audiogon extends the fun by allowing us the opportunity to share our personal findings with other enthusiast, but not just in our city, we can share with friends all over the world.

I believe this is the success of the Internet, bringing common interest people together to enjoy a common love. From this I have personally developed a friendship base on five contents. I have very dear friends who share my interest and we share our hobby. We have grown beyond that to share our families and our lives. To all the members of Audiogon, have a happy holiday and I pray for peace and love.

jd
Post removed