Silver vs Copper cables

I've been reading the forums and noticed a few comments that silver made ic's and speaker cables sound better with solid state equipment. Would this mean copper cables sound better with tubes? Why is this? Thanks.
gjbianchi
OK, Ok....I am just as deranged as everybody else here in searching for that Holy Grail of an IC for my specific system (only I have kind of a modest budget).

I have a pair of Reality Cables copper IC's on the way to try out for use between my TRL modded Sony source and TRL modded Musical Fidelity A300 integrated.
Also considering trying a pair of the new Decware silver IC's, and the Xtreme AV copper/silver hybrids, and VH Audio silver/copper Pulsar hybrids.
Just not sure where the journey will stop.

Clio09 above is mentoring me a bit as he has much more experience than I owning and auditioning IC's.

I am presently using RS Audio silver IC's. Time to experiment a bit-who knows I may end up not changing.

FWIW-I use DH Labs silver plated copper speaker T14 and Q10 wire in a biwire setup.

Oh, and Halle Berry all the way.
I use solid-silver-conductor cables for both IC and speaker. I compared the silver IC with 2 hi-end copper-conductor cables and the silver won*. I use HomeGrown Audio's IC-4 with either WBT nextgen silver or HG's silver-plated RCAs. At $11 - $12/foot, it's a bargain. http://www.homegrownaudio.com/bulk_wire.htm

I use HG's SC-16 for speakercable, with AQ's silver-over-copper spades at the amp end; it's soldered at the speaker end.

My system has never sounded better.

* But I'm no GEA; I have to work hard at hearing differences. But the silver still sounded SLIGHTLY cleaner, smoother (= not edgy), and more detailed and revealing of small differences.
As previously mentioned, not all copper cables and not all silver cables are created equally. I very much like both Acoustic Zen's silver and copper inconnect offerings as well as Ridge Street Audio's silver speaker cables. The RSA Poiema is the only silver SC I've tried that didn't recess the midrange in my system. Amazing in that it is revealing as I would have expected, but it's also decently full sounding. I'm now in the process of breaking in some silver and copper interconnects from Z-Squared.
Brianmgrarcom, so you are saying that his Levinson gear and Wilson speakers are very smooth in the highs? Have you heard this equipment?

My comment was not meant to bash silver cables, I own all silver cables myself. However, Levinson and Wilson is a combo that could use a little toning down in the upper octaves, in case you haven't heard them. Silver would not be the best choice for this combination, IMHO. There is a difference between natural highs and high end companies that create artificial highs to try and sound detailed. I'm not bashing ML or Wilson either, but to put Nordost cables on that gear is to achieve bright sound, as our thread starter, Gjbianchi can attest.

Just like your favorite HP comment says 'thus the flaws of the transistors or tweeters'. I tried silver cables several times over the last 15 years w/o success. When I purchased my current speakers, Verity Audio Parsifal Encore's, I found a speaker that loves silver. Some don't care for the Parsifal's claiming they are too soft. They were probably listening to them with copper cables, in which case I agree with them. I sold my Jena Labs cables and bought RSAD cables in the speaker move.

My point is, there is no right or wrong cable. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If your system sounds a bit slow or lifeless, try silver. If your system sounds a bit hot or bright, try copper. That's worked for me anyway. It may not work for everyone, but I'm not trying to please everyone. The thread originator claims his system sounds too bright with ML/Wilson/Nordost, I offered the suggestion that copper from Cardas or Jena Labs would help. What do you suggest (supposing he doesn't wish to change equipment)?

Cheers,
John