Fozgometer

I've used this gizmo a few times before and think its a very valuable tool. I'm setting up a new cartridge, and nearing the end of a whole day job...anyway, I'm using the proper test record, yet, the meter doesn't work...I get a dull lights on the 2 red ones, although the middle power light works. Any suggestions?
128x128stringreen
Onhwy61, it all depends on who you ask as to whether or not the Fozgometer indicates the optimal azimuth. Opinions on the merits of the Fozgometer are all over the map, with a wide gap between camps. Not surprising for a device that's attempting to measure weak signals from a limited frequency range based on an imperfect source. Just do a search on how (im)perfect many of the test LPs are. Compounding that is the level of exactitude that is used during the alignment process.

In my opinion, based on setting azimuth for five different cartridges (4 LOMC and 1 MM) with three different turntables, is that the Fozgometer makes it very easy to set azimuth that is darn close to optimal. Sometimes the azimuth is probably perfect, but I wouldn't know because I don't have a way to test for perfection and I don't spend the extra time necessary to validate perfection by ear.

All I can say is that after setting a Baerwald alignment, getting VTF and SRA adjusted, and then quickly setting azimuth with the Fozgometer, I can put an album on the turntable, queue the tonearm, and sit back and enjoy some of the best sounding music I've ever heard in my home.

Man, that's optimal. :-)

Regards,
Tom
I've had a Foz for maybe four years now. During that time I've installed five cartridges on four tonearms on three turntables. All sounded better after setting azimuth with it--that is, better than eyeballing perpendicularity with a Millennium block. The device is not perfect but it's darned handy and works quite well when calibrated properly.
Did connect the FOZ to a dedicated 230 V AC to 9 V DC powersupply .Did control the calibration test several times ,stays perfect.
Now test my cart with the proper test LP , saw a difference between L and R of two scale points , I mean reading L is 15 , R is 17 .In both cases the leds did only light for the proper channel.Do you think I have to try to make the difference smaller ? With a LP with pink noise you don't hear the other channel.Hope for some input
Regards Hans
Hans, the readings you're getting seem on the low side but perhaps you have a very low output cartridge. The channel separation indicated by the Fozgometer is not bad but I would try to adjust the azimuth so the channels are closer to being balanced (smaller difference).

If this is the first time you have used the Fozgometer I suggest experimenting with azimuth settings to see much stylus tilt affects channel separation. Try tilting the cartridge first one way and then another. Not too much but enough to see a difference in the readings. I check the amount of tilt with a small level. When you get the channel separation to be very close, stop and enjoy some music. :-)

Then, when you have some time, carefully listen to an LP with clean solo vocals and/or acoustic instruments to see if you can hear differences as you make fine adjustments. For example, listen to the LP before you make any adjustments using the Fozgometer and then listen to the same LP after you make adjustments. (Use an LP that you don't mind playing several times without resting it between plays.) Vocals and instruments should come into sharper focus when you're at or near optimum azimuth. As you become familiar with how the readings on the Fozgometer relate to the sound you hear, you'll know when you've got good azimuth alignment by the readings alone.

It's a learning process and takes time so don't be in a hurry and enjoy some music as you go.

Regards,
Tom
Nansk...make the difference as small as you can do it. Mine is exactly right....needed lots of time.. Every time you change the azimuth, you should check to see if the vtf was disturbed. Any raising or lowering of the back of the arm needs rechecking of all parameters including where the stylus sits on the alignment protractor. I know...very tedious....