Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman
Being a vinyl lover, regret that I have put myself in the camp that the vinyl resurgence is just a fad.

Go to vinyl dominated forums and look at the vast amount of posters who have obtained their first TT yet are completely unaware they need a phono stage. These folks are not interested in quality sound reproduction. Afraid they are just hipsters. Go to used record shows and try to find a vendor who actually has brought a quality player to demo his records with? They are all the equivalent of Fisher Price models. Now look at the people buying these used records and demoing them on this cheap equipment. Again, its been my observation that they are mostly young hipsters. I recently found a 12", 45 rpm, Japanese pressing of a Paul McCartney tune I really like for $30. The vendor offered to demo it on what seriously looked like a Kenner Close 'n Play! I told if he did, I wouldn't buy the record.

Read somewhere that 60% of LP collectors have no intention of even playing the record. From what I see at shows, I tend to believe this.

Sadly its just a fad.
"Go to vinyl dominated forums and look at the vast amount of posters who have obtained their first TT yet are completely unaware they need a phono stage. These folks are not interested in quality sound reproduction. Afraid they are just hipsters."

Go to computer audio dominated forums and look at the vast amount of posters who have obtained their first high res download and are completely unaware they need software that supports the format. These folks are not interested in quality sound reproduction. Afraid they are just hipsters.
You might be right ZD. The bottom line, most people are just
not concerned about quality sound reproduction, period.
Audiophiles are an extreme minority and vinylphiles, even less.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy vinyl immensely and am anxiously
awaiting a new phono stage. But again, I agree with those that
its just a passing fad. Lot more hipsters out there than us.
Its not about being a "hipster", many/ most Americans have a COMPULSION to buy what is considered cool in the circle they roll with. The American dream is defined solely by consumption. It ain't complicated.