Another cartridge suggestion thread

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new cartridge and need a few suggestions to look into. I am looking for a warm low noise cart. Currently I am using an Ortofon Winfeld which I'm not totally unhappy with, but it is a little noisy and have some distortion issues. Also I want to try something a bit warmer.

Have been reading threads on the Dynavector XV-1s and the Koetsu RSP. They both sound promising. I am open for any suggestions. It is a major purchase, so I'm doing as much research as I can.

My current set up:
Brinkman Bardo
Graham supreme II
VAC Ren. mk III / with phono
VAC PHI 200
Wilson Sofia's
All Transparent cable

Music preference: Jazz, blues and female voice.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt
mwilliams
I have Wilson Sophias, Transparent cables, and VPI Scoutmaster with Herron VTPH 2 phono stage. I use a Soundsmith Paua, which is great all around, and especially with the midrange. Great balance, resolution; very low noise floor. I love it. Also, I am using HiDiamond phono cables.
Brinkmann Audio EMT-Ti

Call Steve Klein at Sounds of Silence. He has a demo for sale. No affiliation, but I have dealt with Steve, and he is a great guy, with superb customer service.
Music preference: Jazz, blues and female voice

I would recommend Zyx cartridges. They are all good from soundstage, overall voicing and rhythm. A great match for Graham Arms, too.
You see, this is why I suggested that the admin add a permanent thread so we can ask for these suggestions. Ain't that a good idea? To whom should it be directed?

I have a square motored Well Tempered Classic table; EAR 834P phono (Singerman modded); and a Shelter 501 MkII cartridge.
I'd like to upgrade the cartridge, any suggestions on a compatible fit? (In the $2K area, however).

Upgrade cartridge or new phono stage?
I had a Winfeld MC with my prior speakers (still running the same Rogue Apollo tube amps), which didn't wholly gel with that cart -- it resulted in a lean/analytical midrange and a somewhat searing top end. The detail retrieval and bass quality were phenomenal, though. I moved on to various Koetsus (tried a few different kinds, including RSP), all of which were a MUCH better match in that system. I got a lush, gorgeous midrange (lifelike vocals and strings), perfect tonal balance, non-fatiguing highs, still very good detail retrieval, and very low noise floor (without insane setup precision requirements) -- but I have to say I somewhat miss the Winfeld's bass. I was using a Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 (un-modded) at that time, which was a very GOOD match with both Koetsu and Ortofon. I moved to a VAC Ren. III w/ built-in phono for a time, and can confirm that this phono is an EXCELLENT match with Koetsu Platinum carts (never tried it with Ortofon).

Given what you've described, a Koetsu Platinum will be a superb choice. In my experience though, the stone bodies give a little better bass response without sacrificing midrange or tone.

Today I have darker speakers, and have finally tried Ortofon again (Cadenza Bronze), and I'm glad I did -- they are wonderful carts! However, even still, that Bronze is warmer than a Winfeld and I STILL have to dial my Tannoy tweeter crossover down 1.5dB in order for it to not sound overly bright (Koetsus needing no such adjustment). And those vocals will never be as bold and present as with a Koetsu.