Modified Lenco vs TW Raven

Hello,
I have a TW Acustic Raven for a few years now. I made different upgrades along the last 3 years : new battery PSU and 3 motors in a round shape. I was thinking about the last upgrade (for me) : the BN platter and new bearing when I heard for the first time to modified Lenco by TJN. I read most of what there is to read for a non DIY, and there is a lot...
Before deciding if a make the jump I'd like to know if some in the community have made the same decision : I mean going from a top belt TT to a top idler wheel. I think of the ref models from Jean Nantais and tell me if they are happy now.
Thank you for helping
Barba
barbapapa
No not yet
I just wanted comparative opinions. Some says the 3 motors TW is in between a belt and an idler wheel in listening sensations and feelings. I don't know what it means exactly but try to imagine
Barba
I have 2 tables : a TW AC modded all the way to BN status minus the platter and BN feet and a Garrard 401. The idler drive 401 is no slouch and is IMHO superior to the TW. You can check my systems page for details on matching components etc
I reckon that a litmus test for any system is how well it handles piano notes. Last night I played side 1 of Keith Jarret's Koln Concert. I was amazed at how good it sounded on the TW. I have never heard it sound so real without any tinge of metallica. I than played the same side on the 401 and was stunned. The 401 was miles ahead. There was a delicacy to the notes and a sense of air.
I hope this makes sense.
Pradeep
Hello Sunnyboy,

Thank you for this interesting post. Maybe now I can make a better idea with a Nantais mkIII modified Lenco against my own Raven AC 3 (3 motors in a round shape and battery PSU).
These modified idler drive seems to be a winner against more conventionnal TT based purely on musical pleasure ?
Nantais does a great job with the base Lenco L75, for sure. But you might also consider other after-market Lenco modifiers. The DIY alternative is also pretty easy with the Lenco, because you can buy an excellent plinth, and all other stuff is merely re-assembly of the table with new parts. I don't know whether Jean has yet adopted the PTP chassis in lieu of the original, but there is much to be said for doing that. My L75 has a slate plinth, PTP chassis, Jeremy super bearing, dampened original platter, weight on a string replacing spring (a la Nantais). I did it all myself. Motor, idler wheel, and idler arm are Lenco OEM. I have 4 other turntables including some exotic direct-drive types which I also like a lot, but Lenco is in play most of the time.