Upgrading cartridge used or new?

I am in process to upgrade my analog setup starting from replacing my DV 10x5 with an step up one from DV or other make.
My TT rega P5.

On my journey I had hear mixed things about buying used, a much better cartridge or just pay same amount for a brand new lower end one.

Some dealers said you never know the history of a used cartridge, so you must believe the always magic # from the seller of 100 hours on it, plus vinyls condition that was expose to, etc.

While the new even if lower end is a solid secure step.

I would like to hear your exp about buying cartridges on used market.

As always must appreciate all your time to share your comments.

Regards.
128x128mountainsong
Like Acman......I too have bought over 30 styli and cartridges during the last 2 years and had only two of those arrive defective.
Most were also 30 year old MM vintage cartridges with the average price around $250..... although one was a $900 vintage MM and one was a $1200 much prized vintage LOMC with known defective stylus which I subsequently had replaced.
Many of these cartridges equal the performances of my favourite brand new LOMCs like the ZYX UNIverse and Dynavector XV-1s.
There are many contributors to the MM Thread here on A'Gon with similar positive experiences.
A large number of the cartridges I have bought are NOS and have 'visually' been confirmed as having no (or little) use.
I have no qualms about continuing this method of cartridge acquisition.....and can recommend it.....if you know what you are doing?
With my addiction out for all to see, I only can find 43, but I refuse to look in any more drawers.;)
because most dealers have no idea about vinyl or anything to do with it, and are afraid of cartridges because of the same biases we see here. So, good for me. I will continue to buy and listen to great used cartridges cheap.

By the way, most of my purchases are also 20 to 30 year old LOMC.