Donald Fagen-Sunken Condos

Just got done listening twice to the new Donald Fagen CD "Sunken Condos". It's EXCELLENT!

Typical Fagen/Steely Dan affair, but a little more funky. Actually, it could have been a new Steely Dan album.

Yes, I am biased because Steely Dan is my favorite band, so they could probably sing the phone book and I would like it, but this really is a very good new album.

I favorite tracks are: "Good Stuff", "I'm Not The Same Without You" and "Out Of The Ghetto".

I'm still shacking my "groove thang" and the the CD has been over for awhile. This album seems to stay with you...
128x128mofimadness
Carlos Santana is supposed to have answered an interviewer's question about the sameness of his guitar solos with "so my mother recognizes me on the radio". Pop/rock music really isn't known for it's originality. If you play and perform for nearly 40 years you're just not going to keep evolving and growing. Even Miles "New Directions In Music" Davis stuck to jazz/funk for the final 20 years of his career. Fagen/Becker have found a niche that they do really well and I'm thankful they continue to produce anything.
Steely Dan et al have had a much higher than average (for pop music anyway) level of musical complexity and range of style since day one, and in that context there is a very large stash of musical ideas to plunder. I assume they don't care what the public thinks as long as the live shows sell out and somebody buys enough music from 'em to justify continuing, but in the context of having a long run with nothing to prove except to themselves I think the recent stuff is amazingly well done. It's good to remember one particular group who mostly think they're brilliant: Professional musicians.
Rebbi: I agree with your opinion on the quality of this recording. Fagen/Dan recordings are usually better than this. I'm wondering if anyone has heard the Japanese pressing?

Lately I've been wondering about alternative pressings generally. I try to buy my favorite artists on Japanese pressings whenever I can, because the clarity is just better across the board. But I feel like the best CDs in my collection (3 or 4) were pressed in France. These seem to have the highest resolution.

Does anyone have an opinion on international pressings? If I could, I would pursue French pressings more often. But now I think all European discs say "EU."

Hmmm, maybe I'll start this as a new thread.
I have the Japanese CD, sounds good but I've never heard the domestic version.