Just how good is the Technics SL-1200?

I keep reading posts about how good this TT is. I read as far as direct drive TTs go its very good. How resolving is it. I also read you can get it modded. Just how good is it? Is it in same league as Linn or Rega? Anyone ever do a shoot out between the 2?
128x128blueranger
I am not sure that I qualify to be what Elizabeth calls a fanboy but I do use a Technics SL1200MK5 that I bought new on eBay last December, 2011. It is mated with a KAB/Ortofon Pro S cartridge and STY40 stylus. No headshell.

It took only twenty minutes to set up the table and cartridge and I was spinning my old vinyl from the 70's.

My albums sound great with black background, punchy bass, clear treble, and good sound stage. It is a big improvement from my old Luxman PD272 with a Shure V15type4 cartridge.

Well recorded albums sound alive.

The Technics is well built and its direct drive speed control is critical to good listening IMHO. I spent a lot of time researching this purchase and felt that belt drive is inferior unless you have a lot of extra cash sitting around.

So for about $1,000 I am in heaven with a table that will only get better with low cost modifications.
I have to agree with Elizabeth. That table is just not that great. If all you want to do is rock out, it would be fine. There are good things about it, and good reasons why the DJs loved it. But if you listen to classical or jazz, and want a table that has great resolution of instrumental timbres, a big soundstage, etc., look elsewhere. Also agree that the 1200's, especially the modded ones, are really overpriced. You can do much better for that money. It is certainly the least good of the tables I have owned, and I include a cheap Sony one in that list...
Hi Learsfool, I use a 1200 for classical music, and I hear great resolution of instrumental timbres (my number-one priority), a big soundstage, etc. So one of us must be nuts, right? Isn't it great to have a hobby whose enthusiasts are absolutely intolerant of the opinions of others?! :-)

-Bob
How exactly does the turntable have an effect on the soundstage? Please exclude te wiring, the cartridge, and the phono stage. Just the turntable. In my experience, the table is not the deciding factor in things like that. The only difference I can hear between tables is noise and speed stability.
Hi Hessonn11,

You're absolutely right. It's a great turntable for any genre of music. And a great turntable period. The price/performance ratio is way off the charts.