Just how good is the Technics SL-1200?

I keep reading posts about how good this TT is. I read as far as direct drive TTs go its very good. How resolving is it. I also read you can get it modded. Just how good is it? Is it in same league as Linn or Rega? Anyone ever do a shoot out between the 2?
128x128blueranger

Showing 6 responses by dave_72

The Technics (particularly the M5G or Mk. 6) is a superb turntable all the way around...the secret is to put a top class MM cartridge on it, and it will reward you with many hours of happy listening.
Exactly. You nailed it. But, I really don't need the mods, personally speaking. The 1210MG5 sounds good as is too me. I also don't find the AT150mLX to be too bright @ 47k. It really depends on the record. Actually some records sound rather dull...
I agree with Andy! It truly does compete with other turntables in its price range, and even beyond that. It's hard to beat the build quality as well. What's not to like?
Hi Hessonn11,

You're absolutely right. It's a great turntable for any genre of music. And a great turntable period. The price/performance ratio is way off the charts.