Just how good is the Technics SL-1200?

I keep reading posts about how good this TT is. I read as far as direct drive TTs go its very good. How resolving is it. I also read you can get it modded. Just how good is it? Is it in same league as Linn or Rega? Anyone ever do a shoot out between the 2?
128x128blueranger

Showing 1 response by dsper

I am not sure that I qualify to be what Elizabeth calls a fanboy but I do use a Technics SL1200MK5 that I bought new on eBay last December, 2011. It is mated with a KAB/Ortofon Pro S cartridge and STY40 stylus. No headshell.

It took only twenty minutes to set up the table and cartridge and I was spinning my old vinyl from the 70's.

My albums sound great with black background, punchy bass, clear treble, and good sound stage. It is a big improvement from my old Luxman PD272 with a Shure V15type4 cartridge.

Well recorded albums sound alive.

The Technics is well built and its direct drive speed control is critical to good listening IMHO. I spent a lot of time researching this purchase and felt that belt drive is inferior unless you have a lot of extra cash sitting around.

So for about $1,000 I am in heaven with a table that will only get better with low cost modifications.