Turntable Recommendation for Beginner

I want to get into Analog by starting with a nice turntable and phono pre. I have not had a turntable since I was in high school in the 80's. I know very little about what is out there now. The rest of my system is all Audio Research with B&W 801's , Transparent and Shunyata cables etc... so I would like for my turntable to be of similar level.
Thank you
vdosc
I strongly 2nd the Denon DP-47 and 103 recommendation. The Denon tables of that vintage were incredibly well-built and are very good turntables all-around. And they are very easy to setup and use. They also *look* very good, very solid bases and smooth, elegant controls and switches.

The Denon 103 cartridge is one of the most popular in the world. You'll need a step-up transformer because of its low output, but there are plenty of those around for $200-300.

A setup like this will serve you well for many years and you can probably put it all together for less than $800.

-RW-
Tables are a great source of debate.
For years, the rega offerings were affordable, solid performers without needing to have a PhD in engineering to set them up.
I have a LP12 with the old Grace 707 and with a Benz Ace cart, the results are very very good...

Don't fall into the "never buy a used table" or "performance is directly related to money spent" myths.

Synergy is what makes good music great.
My advice, get a used table that you like...build your collection up a bit and shop at a slow pace.

It is hard to get it right the first time out.
>>To Whart

Bill,

Thanks for extending an invitation, and I'm sorry to hear you'll be leaving NY. As a former New Yorker, I have a special place in my heart for NY. Many of my friends and some family are still there. I traded NYC for San Diego a few years ago, but still miss the City and would probably go back if a lucrative opportunity arose. That said, I understand Austin is an awesome place, and has a great music scene. Plus much milder winters!

Funny about the Kuzma arm. Your turntable is one of those tables I have on my list to audition when I finally win the lottery, or when I get that that big promotion in that great job I'll get one day...So I was thinking about that linear arm and how many audiophiles consider linear arms superior to pivots. But for me, it's precisely what you've experienced that makes linear arms less attractive than pivots. I'm sure there are other designs that probably don't exhibit the same problems, but you'd think that if anyone could make a great linear arm, Kuzma would be one of them.

Good luck with the move when it happens. If I make it to NY any time soon. I'll let you know. Perhaps we can visit Mr. Lamm in Brooklyn :)
Act- the arm itself is phenomenal and is really little trouble, once it is properly set up. It is well machined, well designed and pretty trouble free to operate. It needs to be absolutely level, and I occasionally clean the tube that the bearing travels on, so it doesn't get 'stuck' due to 'dust.' The pump is a whole other matter. In talking with SIL in the States, they think the pump is too small for the application, and that its behavior is due in part to having to run too many duty cycles. The Kuzma US distributor does offer a bigger SIL pump, with a larger compressor and surge tank, and i might try that once I relocate.
The Kuzma 4 point arm is supposed to be fabulous, and I might install a second arm at some point- easy enough to do- just buy an additional arm 'tower' and line it up properly next to the TT. The TT itself is a beast, and the biggest issue is setting it up for isolation. It is very heavy, and adding the weight of an HRS isolation platform beneath it makes it heavier still. The room is at the top of the house, with wooden floors, so you can imagine the challenge. I tried the big Finite Elemente floor stand that was made for the Kuzma XL and it just didn't work- the floor was too much of a challenge. Right now, the turntable sits on the HRS platform which, it turn, is mounted on top of a very heavy old Asian prayer table that is about 10 feet long and has to weigh several hundred pounds. My dealer helped- adding huge chunks of sorthbothane under the table and it works well.
Definitive Audio (if I remember the name right, the people in the UK that build those Living Voice speakers) have their Kuzma mounted to a wall, but the space is an old factory with much stronger walls than sheetrock.
I'm looking forward to Austin- and am planning to do a dedicated room there, with some basic acoustic design, balanced power and the rest. I think the system will sound better in a bigger, better designed room than I have now.
Always try to visit Symbolic Motors when I'm in San Diego, but it's been a few years. Here's my email if you want to stay in touch: [email protected]
Best,
bill hart