PHONO STAGE FOR REGA RP1 or RP3

Dear all,
I'm currently in the market for a turntable - phono stage combo. This is the first turntable I'll ever own, hence I'm trying to keep it simple till I get accustomed to the analog world. I'll be most probably going for a Rega RP1 or RP3 if budget allows. Question is what would be a good phono stage for either of the two turntables. I'm looking into spending around 1500 USD or Euros.
Rest of the system consists of a KRELL KAV 400xi integrated amp and a pair of Martin Logan Clarities.
Your help would be much appreciated.
myronk
Mechans,
the RP3, if I go for that after all, comes with a factory mounted Elys 2 cartridge - MM if I am not mistaken. Given my limited knowledge in analog, such a solution would be the safest one as a first step. In every case, I'd rather go for a MM & MC phono stage, only to be able to experiment with both designs. I'm looking into purchasing a new phono stage.
Thanks
The RP-3 appears to have an optional factory mounted Elys2 which is an MM cartridge. The RP1 requires you to have a cartridge installed on our own.
I was going to suggest my usual giant killer phono stage , the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE but it is MM or HOMC only. They can be found for as little as $410 new. If you can live with an MM cart this is a great choice. I use it with a HOMC and really like what I hear. I think you can buy an upgraded power supply which would probably make it better.
The EAR 834p is within your budget if you buy the plain version (no chrome face- all black) but once again only suites MM/HOMC. This is a wideley recommended phono pre-amp.
Sorry someone else will have to chime in with MM and MC phono stages.
Spend a little more and get a real one, the Liberty Audio B2B-1 :-)

From its maker

Thanks

Peter

liberty
Say Peter, when did $1300 become "a little more"? I would suggest my phono stage as a little more- TTVJ Hybrid for $550.
First of all a phono stage is all about the cartridge one is planning to use and has little to do with the turntable one is using. The Regas you mention are considered budget tables (very nice ones I might add) so if you are planning to stay in this neighborhood with your equipment then you should consider Regas own phono stage the Fono. It is available in both MM and MC versions and runs about $400 USD.