PHONO STAGE FOR REGA RP1 or RP3

Dear all,
I'm currently in the market for a turntable - phono stage combo. This is the first turntable I'll ever own, hence I'm trying to keep it simple till I get accustomed to the analog world. I'll be most probably going for a Rega RP1 or RP3 if budget allows. Question is what would be a good phono stage for either of the two turntables. I'm looking into spending around 1500 USD or Euros.
Rest of the system consists of a KRELL KAV 400xi integrated amp and a pair of Martin Logan Clarities.
Your help would be much appreciated.
myronk
Spend a little more and get a real one, the Liberty Audio B2B-1 :-)

From its maker

Thanks

Peter

liberty
Say Peter, when did $1300 become "a little more"? I would suggest my phono stage as a little more- TTVJ Hybrid for $550.
First of all a phono stage is all about the cartridge one is planning to use and has little to do with the turntable one is using. The Regas you mention are considered budget tables (very nice ones I might add) so if you are planning to stay in this neighborhood with your equipment then you should consider Regas own phono stage the Fono. It is available in both MM and MC versions and runs about $400 USD.
Myronk,

I currently use this little gem called a Heed Quasar (MM and MC) with my Rega RP3 / Ortofon 2m Black rig. I'll be replacing the RP3 with a considerably more expensive Nottingham Hyperspace / Lyra combination next week and the Heed will remain as my phono stage. I believe the Heed to be your best bet for under 1.5k Euro. Don't take my word for it though, do a google search and read what others are saying about it.

Best of luck.
A very nice Rega RP3 with a good cartridge (I use an Ortofon 2M Bronze) would cost around 950 euro. If you buy the TTPSU for a more stable speed control (and the ease of switching to 45 RPM) that is an extra 250 euro, which leaves you 300 for phono preamp. You can get great products for that price. A cambridge audio 651p is great for less than 200. A good carbon brush and some other accessories and you are good to go.

You could also opt for spending less money and see if you like the vinyl track. An RP1 with an Ortofon 2M Red and a used Cambridge audio 540p can be had for less than 500 euro and than you have a set you do not have to be ashamed for. Remember that you will have to invest in some vinyl as well.

If you are like me and like tweaking the Rega gives your a lot of opportunities.