upgrading VPI turntable

i am thinking about upgrading my VPI HW 19 JR turntable which would entail new arm cartridge , feet and power cord. Budget around $1500. question is , is it worth the money to upgrade a discontinued turntable or invest this in a new turntable and which one . possibly a Rega RP-3 ? any advise please
panu21
Sell the VPI HW19 Jr, add the proceeds to your $1500 budget and buy a used VPI Classic
instead of spending $1500 to upgrade the jr look for a nice used hw-19 mk iv. I think you can find one for around that price. A saw i nice one on another site that was loaded sold now but they are out there.
I would not invest $1500 on a 15 year old? turntable. If you like the current VPI sound put the $1500 towards the VPI Classic.
Power Cord? What will a power cord do to increase performance on a HW-19 Table? Nada. SDS, yes, A SAMA, yes, a better Tonearm, Yes, Better Cartridge, Yes, Better Feet, Yes.

Don't be so sure, that a HW-19 modded to the hilt cannot stay alongside, and compete with a Scout, or even a Classic. The consist of parts, and how they are implemented will go far to play an influence as to the final sound.

A full blown HW-19 MK-IV Table, if VPI was still making it, would probably cost you north of $3,000 in today's market. That was probably one of the main reasons they discontinued it, too much work-labor-parts involved, and work-parts equates to $$$ spent.

All company's business models today are spend less, and make more, maximize profit, that's the bottom line.

You just perhaps recently missed on a nice MK-IV 16 lb Platter that was advertised here for literal Peanuts. One of the best Platters IMO that VPI ever made.

Making a new Plinth for the HW-19 to use another Tonearm is not that hard to do. Nor is having a welding shop cut you out a thick sheet of Steel as a sub-chassis sheet under the Plinth. 10 minutes with a template design, and a plasma cutter is all.

There's a million footers out there that will better the 5 cent rubber feet on the HW-19. Keep the Sorbo Pucks, they are hard to improve upon.

Some might laugh, but virtually any Tonearm could make its home on the HW-19, provided it will fit. Mark