How many LP's do you own? How long did it take?

I started to collect vinyl in the late 80's, after it was demonstrated to me (to my ears) that vinyl sounded better than cds. I was fortunate at the time that people were dumping their vinyl collections. I was able to buy great LP's in mint condiiton for .10 cents each or so at garage sales...My have things hve changed. The vast majority of LPs I buy now are new and cost between $14 to $50 bucks each. Used LP'P's can go for more if its rare. So, how many LP's do you own and how long did it take you to amass your collection? I currently have about 2000 LPs.
tbromgard
raul--well said. Actually know a collector that does not even have a working turntable. He collects "rare" issues and focuses more on the cover and inserts. As for me, i do enjoy the "collecting" but love the actual listening of great tracks or albums. If i did not have a demanding job and family life that forces me to actually do something, i would listen more. As many others who get this bug, i have spent a lot of time putting together a system (not nearly as heavyweight as some on this site) that i enjoy listening to. I tend to go into collection listening (ie, steely dan weekend or Return to forever nite) and pull out every one to try listen to.
Raul - I understand your point about quantity owned vs. quantity listened to but....even though I may not listen to them all, all the time, it's KNOWING what I have, and that I CAN listen whenever I want that gives my collection it's value. I think this is true regardless of whether it's LP's, CD's, or MP3's.
I stopped counting @ 18,000. I mostly buy CD's now,have around 3000,my CD system sounds damn good too. I do buy an occasional Lp @ full price but mostly used now. My last purchase was a MOFI copy of Sea Change by Beck. Every record I own is playable and in @ least very good condition.
oh yeah I started collecting as a hobby in 1967 but the first album I ever bought was The Beatles on Veejay records. I bought it because I remember sitting in the school cafeteria eating lunch and everyone was singing to I Wanna Hold Your Hand that was playing over the PA system.
Dear Chazro: Yes, from a collector point of view I agree with you, that's the main subject why we are LP's collectors.

My wife ask me time to time: why if you listen to almost the same 400-500 LPs don't put on sale the other 5.5K+?, well she is not a collector, I'm along along an audiophile.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.