mono cartridge vs stereo

Lots of the music I want to listen to is in mono. At present I use my stereo cartridge with the mono button pressed on the phono pre. I can't find much on the differences in this vs dedicated mono cartridge. Any insights/experience would be appreciated.
fbpearce
Artmat, the cheap and dirty upgrade is to switch your preamplifier to "mono" mode. You will thereby gain most of the benefits associated with using a mono cartridge. If your preamp does not have a mono switch, mono can be derived from the stereo output using a Y-adapter. I keep meaning to buy a mono cartridge, but in the meantime I find that my mono LPs sound much better with my Klyne 6LX preamp in mono mode. (The trick is that older products like the Klyne tended to have a mono switch. Some time in the late 90s, mono switches seem to have all but disappeared.) It goes without saying that you need not be concerned about using a stereo cartridge with recently issued mono LPs, as regards damage to the LP.
Artmat55, unfortunately while mono playback seems like it should have simple answers it can be deep water. For example, beyond the basic question of mono switch (in phono stage or preamp or via Y-adapter as Lew mentioned) VS mono cartridge there are more areas to consider.

If one elects to try a "mono" cartridge, is it a true mono design or merely a stereo model with channels strapped internally? I don't see that being different from a mono switch on a preamp. True mono cartridges do not have vertical compliance pick up. This means they can reject vertical groove noise. For example I've read that Grado mono cartridges are strapped internally, but I've not seen a confirmation of that.

Then assuming you choose a mono cartridge, does it have the proper tip dimension for the records being played? Mono records have varying width grooves depending on when they were cut and pressed.

Lastly is the question of equalization. While the RIAA curve was formalized around 1956 not all record companies adopted it immediately. Some mono LPs (and 45s) released in the '60s were still recorded with other EQs.

So what is a music lover to do? I think it depends on how many mono records one owns (how much trouble is worthwhile) and are those monos originals or reissues (post about 1990)? This has been a long way of saying if the only monos you have are the reissue Beatles then utilizing your mono switch with a stereo cartridge can be satisfactory. Not that they might not be better optimized but are the sonic gains worth all that trouble?
A friend showed me what I thought was "conclusive" proof that his mono cartridge gave better results on mono recordings, so I bought a Miyajima Zero, which is very nice. But it seems to lack the ultimate refinement of my higher end Koetsu (stereo), on a selection of early mono vinyl.
With a lot of mono reissue (hence in RIAA eq), beside mono cartridge, will it be beneficial to use dedicated mono phono preamp? There is one offered by Oswald Mill at $1500 and rated A by Art Dudley, wondering if it can give significant sonic improvement on mono reissue.
Hi
I ended up buying a ortofon mono 2m and hear a big differnce! Thanks for the advice, I now look for momo vinyl in the shops! Just picked up Miles Davis 'round midnite!