Some tables have soul and some not

Why is that? Do you think it is always very subjective?
Say, Nottingham Spacedeck does have it and SME does not even if in some respects SME can be called a better or depending on model much better table.
Thoughts, opinions, name callings ?
inna
Yes, the term "Soul" may be vague, but I know it when I hear it. My ARXA has soul in spades. My Well Tempered has soul. I think both my Thorens TD 166 Mk 11 and Space Deck lack a bit of soul in comparison. My Sota had no Soul whatsoever. I remember some audio reviewer asking if a particular big buck major turntable could "boogie" because "many of them cannot". This I think is similar to the Soul issue. I'm sitting here trying, but I just can't actually define "Soul" I think speakers also can have or have not "Soul" Perhaps because they too are "acoustic" instruments rather than electronics. Like a fine violin or cello, this comes from a mechanical/acoustical sound created by the materials of their own composition. Even the varnish on the wood can affect the sound, as well as the Soul.
I think you (Inna) are conflating "soul" with what Harry Pearson first called a "dark" sound. And having owned a Notts Hyperspace, I can agree that on that basis the Notts had soul. I am going to guess that tt's with big heavy platters and belt drive, especially where the belt is rubber or anything with compliance, will be said to have soul. This is NOT a bad thing, IMO. On the other hand, I would say that, comparing my Kenwood L07D to my Technics SP10 Mk3 (two very fine direct-drive tts with rather heavy platters, as dd tables go), the L07D has more soul than does the Mk3. Maybe core-less motors (a la the L07D) also tend toward soulful sounds. And this topic is NOT worth 6000 posts, Nikola.
Syntax, you made my day. That is hilarious. Perhaps that guy's soul went to heaven.
I think you (Inna) are conflating "soul" with what Harry Pearson first called a "dark" sound. And having owned a Notts Hyperspace, I can agree that on that basis the Notts had soul. I am going to guess that tt's with big heavy platters and belt drive, especially where the belt is rubber or anything with compliance, will be said to have soul. This is NOT a bad thing, IMO. On the other hand, I would say that, comparing my Kenwood L07D to my Technics SP10 Mk3 (two very fine direct-drive tts with rather heavy platters, as dd tables go), the L07D has more soul than does the Mk3. Maybe core-less motors (a la the L07D) also tend toward soulful sounds. And this topic is NOT worth 6000 posts, Nikola.