The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Large Magnepan electrostatic panel speakers at hi-fi shows always leave me with the impression of best sound at the show; and they are actually relatively inexpensive.
However, I would never want to house these huge 'room dividers' in my living environment.
I have loved teh Maggies for years. they are big (if you want full sound) and don't fit everyone's room, but if you can fit them, they sound awesome. I wouldn't buy them for personal reasons, not based on their sound or construction. I nearly did years ago, but instead went with a dynamic Proac. I think there are a few special speakers in various price categories that exceed what the competition can do and two Maggies fit that bill for me as do a couple of the Vandy speakers. Personally, I've been concerned with too many speaker companies who haven't been around long. Speakers will eventually breakdown and need to be fixed, refoamed or even need new drivers and I've been burned in the past by companies with strong designs that sound awesome for the money, but are not in business when I needed help and they became a scrap pile waste for the most part. I think more audiophiles who are my age or older have stuck with the tried and true companies for this reason.

One of the best systems I've ever heard was the largest Maggies with AR ref gear all the way around and MIT cabling. Crazy good, but after hearing the Vandy 5 and 7's, I'd stick with them as I think they get the music even more 'right' from top to bottom. Panel speakers seem to add something the more I listen to them. Maybe it's the extra energy they send out on the back wave that isn't dissipated. I think that's why I love the Vandy's and really liked the Legacy Aeris's I heard. We all heard different things and that's why they make so many speakers. Fun hobby and it's nice to see folks passionate about their gear.
I've heard many many speakers over the years. I cant say any which one was my favorite. Because I like many different speakers for different kinds of music and its a very personal preference just to pick one. :-)
TAD Reference with all TAD electronics. If anyone feels "neutral is boring", he should check out this combo. It is the best illustration of how neutrality in true sense is actually the most believable presentation of the source.
I've heard the TAD combo and though I thought the combo was very good they were a little on the boring side with less than exciting bass-slam, imaging was very good as was the tone but not a thrilling ride by any means.

Q