CPI super platter vs. Classic aluminum platter

Have you compared both? Which is best performer?
hiendmuse
Mel- I never said that non-inverted bearings will deteriorate in 6 months. Harry said the design of non-inverted bearings will want to move after 6 months. The bearings according to Harry are hardened to Rockwell 60 and are so tough that they are extremely resistant to wear. You can't cut them with a saw or knife. My understanding in reading between the lines on my own research on precession is that non-inverted bearings after awhile may be noisier versus inverted bearings and may possibly increase rumble, but both bearings at this hardness level should be very long lasting.

I had the original acrylic platter with my Super Scoutmaster, and upgraded to the Super Platter, and then to the Classic platter with custom inverted oil pumping bearing. I personally prefer the sound of the Classic platter over the other 2.

My experience with VPI is that Harry is an inveterate music lover, audiophile, and gifted turntable designer. He is always pushing the envelope to further improve his designs. One of the great things about VPI is the ability to upgrade a platter, motor, bearings, tonearms, footers, etc. "if you want to" or not. No one is holding a gun to my head to do this. I choose to push the envelope with certain upgrades. in the end it's really all about enjoying
the music.
With a standard oil bath bearing, 100% of the mass is above the bearing contact patch which is inherently less stable than an inverted bearing which has a significant amount of its mass bellow the bearing contact point.
Yes, that's the theoretical advantage I wrote of. But as a practical matter, given the solid performing longevity of standard oil bath bearing TTs out there, I fail to see a practical advantage of the inverted type, unless it's in the cost of manufacture. The practical advantage of the oil bath bearings is just that: the oil bath.
I got intrigued by the inverted bearing Classic platter and looked on the VPI website. On Harry's forum back in April he discussed the topic at length. When asked if it might become a standard item in their catalog, he responded that he was considering making up a batch of them if there were enough interest, but never mentioned how to express that interest. I currently have a belt-drive SSM Reference with a super platter & Boston Mat2. I have been following the debate here about the relative advantages of the Classic vs. Super Platter for several years. I was never swayed by the Classic camp enough to try a Classic platter until now. If enough others are interested, maybe we can get VPI to do a run of them.
Mcbuddah, there is the standard inverted bearing for the Classic platter, which uses VPI super lube or white lithium grease. I had this platter, then upgraded to an inverted bearing with oil pumping bronze grooves in the platter, and I use a light synthetic oil (Liquid Bearings). This is a custom order. Sounds like you are talking about the oil pumping inverted bearing, not the standard inverted bearing. This is a worthwhile upgrade as platter turns with more ease and less resistance and is quieter.