CPI super platter vs. Classic aluminum platter

Have you compared both? Which is best performer?
hiendmuse
That's just so much BS. Of curse he can make a non-inverted bearing. He did so for many years. There are VPI tables made with non-inverted bearings that have been working perfectly for almost 40 years. Not to mention tables of other manufacturers. They are much easier to keep properly lubricated. Perhaps that's why they last so long.
I believe they call it precession, not bs.

Yes, VPI made both inverted and non-inverted and could have made me either one. He recommended the inverted.

Why are you so angry mel? there's no need for that here.
There is no anger here. I respect and admire VPI. They have been making great products for a long time and their customer support has no peer. Yet like many others in the high end they often make changes for economic reasons, or for regulatory reasons, and advertise the result as offering superior performance. Like some of the writers above, I am also partial to the older acrylic platters.

But how can you pass along the suggestion that non-inverted bearings will deteriorate in 6 months in the face of so many such tables from VPI and other manufacturers that have been doing fine for generations? Some of the finest tables currently manufactured use non-inverted bearings. I can't believe that Harry said that. If he did, I can't believe it could have been taken seriously.
Mel- I never said that non-inverted bearings will deteriorate in 6 months. Harry said the design of non-inverted bearings will want to move after 6 months. The bearings according to Harry are hardened to Rockwell 60 and are so tough that they are extremely resistant to wear. You can't cut them with a saw or knife. My understanding in reading between the lines on my own research on precession is that non-inverted bearings after awhile may be noisier versus inverted bearings and may possibly increase rumble, but both bearings at this hardness level should be very long lasting.

I had the original acrylic platter with my Super Scoutmaster, and upgraded to the Super Platter, and then to the Classic platter with custom inverted oil pumping bearing. I personally prefer the sound of the Classic platter over the other 2.

My experience with VPI is that Harry is an inveterate music lover, audiophile, and gifted turntable designer. He is always pushing the envelope to further improve his designs. One of the great things about VPI is the ability to upgrade a platter, motor, bearings, tonearms, footers, etc. "if you want to" or not. No one is holding a gun to my head to do this. I choose to push the envelope with certain upgrades. in the end it's really all about enjoying
the music.
With a standard oil bath bearing, 100% of the mass is above the bearing contact patch which is inherently less stable than an inverted bearing which has a significant amount of its mass bellow the bearing contact point.