Marantz - SA-15S2B or Yamaha CD-S2000 or iPod

Hi All,
The rest of the system: Vandersteen 2Ce Sig2, (don't laugh, it is an excellent piece) JVC A-X55 integrated amp from your student years and a Denon tuner.

Room is about 400 sq feet. Classical music, e.g. Bach's partitas by Mullova or WTK by S. Richter - so clarity/serenity is appreciated. Classy jazz on a rare occasion is enjoyed too.
I can get Yam for $1500 new, there is an open box Marantz for about the same price.. And a friend promised to loan his CD8004 as a reference point for comparison, tells me this is all I need. I am more into music, so if the CD8004 is 'enough', I will settle on that and save some money. That is why I ask the collective wisdom before I start 'buying' and returning stuff.

Sometimes I think that an iPod may be able to deliver the same at a lower cost. Correct me, if necessary.

Thank you,
George
apdxyk
Edit: actually it is JVC a-X77. Shows how I care.. But I do care about the sound.
If you get an iPod, you will need a dac designed to go with it like the Wadia. I had a Marantz 8003 and never liked it. I think the Marantz SA15S2 is your best bet. Its more refined than the 8004. I never cared for the Yamaha house sound at all.
Will you only consider the 2 amps you list? After reading your post, it looks to me like you are not aware of how good your Model 2's are. There's nothing wrong with either integrated, but they won't even come close to getting the best out of your speakers. I have a pair myself that I use in my main system, and know how to match components and set them up for best results.