Why use a super accurate cartridge protractor

In discussions about cartridge setup, there are those who say that unless one has a cartridge setup protractor like the Mint, Wally Tractor, Dennesen, etc. one cannot expect to extract maximum performance from your rig. Then there are those that say that even the best alignment tool still only nets you a position that needs further tweaking by ear. In my case, I've used a Dennesen and a number of downloadable free protractors and have been able to get good results with the free downloads if I took my time to make those little .5mm shifts that make sound pop into best focus. Is the superiority of a Mint or a Wally Tractor because one doesn't have to make those final last tiny adjustments? Is it that the mirror surface is easier on the eyes?
photon46
Mauidj, I think that you missed the 'point' by Mint tractor. Ie the spindle diameter as variable is included.This means that the tractor is 'spindle'(aka TT) specific.
BTW 'easy to use' and 'very accurate' seldom coincide. I am alas not familiar with Dertonarm's tractor but I know that the spindle variable is also included. But reg. the 'ease of use' one can check by the thread about this tractor.

Regards,
Hi photon

Allen Wright of vacuum state was an Australian. His english was just fine :-)
Just my tuppence worth...
I have only used the Graham Phantom Setup Jig on my current cartridge but as it may have been mentioned elsewhere this allows a very clear, well illuminated, view of the cart undercarriage during setup.

The most important thing I observed is that tensioning the cart screws is very critical and not the final result that people think - even when they are convinced they've been extraordinarily careful not to upset the "perfect alignment". After the first 60 tries (yes you read that correctly) I was still unhappy with the final cart position which often ended up with an estimated 0.2mm offset from target in any given direction(!!!). I finally got the perfect result (and was only truly happy) after 70 tries...
(Admittedly I was using nylon washers to protect the headshell finish and am unsure that these are a better idea than steel washers for cartridge mounting...)

With this experience under my belt I was sure I could do it in less than 10 tries from then on, but it clearly illustrates the unpredictable nature of the process. Our mindset tends towards the conviction that once we've tweaked the hell out of it, we don't want to move it again for fear of upsetting it. My contention is you probably have upset - almost every time - merely by trying to lock it down.

The moral of this story is that had I been using a gimballed arm, I would have been stripping the arm off the T/T for each tightening exercise and would have repeated that process no more than half a dozen times before losing the will to live and capitulating. I suspect many other enthusiasts would settle at this point too, but, given the above story, would their alignment have been as good as believed????
Moreover, by this stage, would they care???
Moonglum, you're so right. Learning to tighten down the cartridge screws with one hand while exerting just the right amount of counteracting torque on the cartridge with the other hand as things snug up can be exasperating to say the least. Understandably, one may become reluctant to change cartridges if using nylon washers.
The reason to get a MINT is for its accuracy. I agree it is very tiresome to do it correctly, however, if accuracy is your goal, that's what needs to be done. Nylon washers will not mount the cartridge solidly to the arm...I use steel to protect the arm head with no deleterious effects. To set up a cartridge is a huge pain...may take a couple of days, but you only do it once.